A club I definitely didn't want to join!

Damned69
Damned69 Member Posts: 55
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

I'm a 58 year old guy and have just been diagnosed with an arthritic hip. Any pretence to the idea that I was not getting older has now been fully eradicated. OK it's not cancer or motor neurone disease, but it is life-changing and I've now got to get used to the idea. I've learned from other experiences that it helps to gather and exchange information so that's why I'm here.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522

Welcome to the Forum, @Damned69. You are in the right place for information and a window onto the world of Arthritis.

You have recently been given a diagnosis of arthritis in the hip. Here are some links to what I hope you will find useful information.

In dealing with a new diagnosis, one of the more useful tips I have found on the forum, is the need not to regret what you can no longer do, but rejoice in what you can.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Tom

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Damned69,

Nice to meet you acceptance is the key, we don’t want it or like it and I used to say every time I couldn’t stand up from my desk at work amazingly no one offered help either at least it’s not cancer but one doc will say oh well it’s part of getting older and wear and tear another will say 60 isn’t old well contradictions don’t help either

there is really not a lot of help out there apart from a generic spread sheet that says this should happen or that should happen when in the middle are people dealing with pain and disappointment

There are pluses from being wise (not old) and that is I can be bad tempered and say what I like without being told it’s pms 😉

I knelt on the floor the other day on a cushion determined that I was going to clean my oven BIG mistake apart from the severe pain in my knees they locked I have arthritis in my hands too so I could not help myself up I sat on the floor for 2 hours till my son could help me get up I sat crying so i said I have pms so needless to say fits of laughter ensued yup I’m growing wiser with disgrace now but I will not think I can clean my oven again parts are replaceable we are not we live and learn eh 😊

love Jona 🤗

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Damned69 . I think it was Groucho Marx who said "I wouldn't join any club that would have someone like me as a member". This is the other way round, this is a club no-one wants to join but we're forced to anyway. However, it's good that you've found this forum, as they've been a life line to me over the last year or so.

I was diagnosed with OA in my hip at 60. I've been really lucky in that apart from grey hair (artfully dyed) and the joy of hormones, I never really considered myself as aging, just maturing. OA soon changed that perception! it sounds like you are where I was in March 2020. It's a lot to get your head around, and that's a tough process, but the light at the end of the tunnel is that we have a condition that's ultimately treatable by surgery. It's not a great journey, but there is a destination worth reaching.

Stick with the lovely people on this forum, we'll see you right.

• Jona
  • Jona

😊😊

• Jona

😉

• Damned69
    Damned69 Member Posts: 55

Hahaha these made me smile!

• Jona
  • Abigail
    Abigail Member Posts: 16

Hi I am Abigail I have it in hips got to have one done soon not given date yet you got to keep moving I think always on the go but slow down now a bit xx

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi @Abigail

Welcome to the Online Community Forum. It is good that you have joined in on this forum. I really hope you get some comfort from other members and what they are saying.

Fingers crossed your date does come through soon.

I have attached a link for hip replacement. I hope you find something there that can help you.

If not, here is the Helpline Number which is Free - 0800 5200 520

Keep continuing to chat to other members on these forums as well, they also give good advice as we are all going through the same thing or have been through the same thing.

Stay Safe & Take Care

AJ_x

• Abigail
    Abigail Member Posts: 16

Thinks for letting me join group waiting for new hip had one hospital visit for e cg on heart all ok jest got take ion tablets

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 3,953

Hi Damned69, sorry to hear about your diagnosis, I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis when I was in mid - forties, I was doing aerobics just a few days before, I also didn’t feel old or ready, but I guess that’s the case with most of us, I suppose it’s best to try and take one day at a time.

• Jona

To everyone x