Is there such a thing as a non-inflammatory arthritis?

My orthopaedic consultant has said I have the beginnings of arthritis but my rheumatologist contradicts this because I do not have a high rheumatoid count or inflammatory markers.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Non-inflammatory Arthritis is otherwise known as Osteoarthritis! Rheumatoid Arthritis is diagnosed through blood tests OA is diagnosed with X-rays and MRI scans. Even though it’s called noninflammatory arthritis, OA can still result in some inflammation of the joints. 

• Star2019
    Star2019 Member Posts: 4

Thank you.

• Hi Star2019,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, as Mike1 has stated a non-inflammatory condition is known as Osteoarthritis, which is a condition that affects our joints.

The areas that it can affect is our hips, knees, feet, shoulders, and hands, and a condition that we call wear and repair, so what is happening is that the body is trying to repair itself and because it is getting it wrong it can cause the pain, swelling and stiffness.

Osteoarthritis (OA) starts when the cartilage within the joints starts to wear thin and roughen, joints become weak and less supportive and in severe cases it can result with bone on bone.

The symptoms are pain, stiffness and possibly a grating and grinding noise (which is called crepitus).

The cause can be several things: Age, Family history, Obesity, extra strain on the joint, also a joint injury.

To get a diagnosis, as Mike1 has said would be through your doctor, either with a physical examination or an x-ray or MRI scan.

I hope this is helpful for you, if you require any more information, please do not hesitate to call our Helpline, and speak to one of the advisors on the free phone number 0800 5200 520. In the meantime, I have added a couple of links for you to read.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor