Local help needed

Hi Helpline Team,

I wonder if you could help me please. Following telephone consultation with GP in April I had an XRay of both knees. Was told by radiologist that I have arthritis in both knees one worse than the other. Within a week I received an appointment to see Physio at local hospital. He suggested a course of physio. Have heard nothing since and this was nearly 2 months ago. Rang GP this morning told I have a telephone consultation with him in 7 days. I have looked for a local support group in my area, as I would like some advice re diet, mobility etc., etc., in the meantime, only to find that my nearest one is over 9 miles away, in North Wales.

I live just outside of Birkenhead CH43 and wonder if there is something nearer. Thank you so much for your time and support.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Anne, I hope the link Mike posted will be helpful to you.

otherwise, if you can afford it go to a private physio locally.as the waiting list for NHS physios is a mile long and you only get a limited number of consultations, which isn’t a lot of use for long term conditions.

Meanwhile, you may find these links helpful

• Anne16
    Anne16 Member Posts: 14

Hi Lilymary,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post and thank you also for the links which I shall have a look at. Whilst I was working I did see a physio privately, but as she charges £50.00 per hour, I find it too expensive now I am on my pension. Take care and renewed thanks.🌺

• Hi Anne 16,

Thank you for posting on the Helpline Forum. I am sorry to hear you have arthritis in your knees. As this has been confirmed on X-ray, it sounds as if you have osteoarthritis. It is frustrating that you are still waiting to receive the physiotherapy you were expecting. As Lilymary has said, private physiotherapy may be another option but it is worth trying to chase up your physio appointment on the NHS. In your latest post you mention that you have seen a private physio previously.  It is good that you have a telephone appointment booked with your GP to talk things through.

Mike1 and Lilymary have given some helpful links. Unfortunately, there is not a Versus Arthritis support group more local to you. Posting on our Living with Arthritis forum may generate more responses and be another source of support.

Yes, a healthy balanced diet, maintaining a healthy weight, and the right kind of exercise are all important to help manage your condition. Your GP could also review your pain medication.

I have given links to more information below which I hope you will find helpful. 

If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor