Sore Steroid injection site

cancan
cancan Member Posts: 43
Hi,
About 7 weeks ago I had a steroid injection in my bum. It was slightly sore for a couple of weeks then I forgot about it.
Over the last week it has got more sore, there is a hardish lump and now it is feeling hot and painful.
Should I see my Doc? and if it is infected what are the risks and can I take antibiotics while on Methotrexate?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    cancan wrote:
    Hi,
    About 7 weeks ago I had a steroid injection in my bum. It was slightly sore for a couple of weeks then I forgot about it.
    Over the last week it has got more sore, there is a hardish lump and now it is feeling hot and painful.
    Should I see my Doc? and if it is infected what are the risks and can I take antibiotics while on Methotrexate?

Hi CanCan
    Always a good idea to pop to your docs and get it checked out - although sometime injection sites can get sore and it settles down after a while. We don't operate weekends but do check in to see everyone is Ok - So sorry for the short reply - someone will reply on Monday from the team about your methotrexate question. If you post a private message to the team with your name and address on i then we will be able to pop the very good information we have about methotrexate into the post for you Monday. Hope that helps ?
    Take care
    Penn
  • helpline_team
    Hi Cancan

As Penn said yes do see your doctor and according to our information whilst on methotrexate if you do have an infection then you must avoid drugs containing trimethoprim for example Septrin prescribed for infections. Just ask your doctor to check ingredients before prescribing. In the meantime information on methotrexate is in the post to you.

Best wishes

Simona
  • cancan
    Hi Cancan

As Penn said yes do see your doctor and according to our information whilst on methotrexate if you do have an infection then you must avoid drugs containing trimethoprim for example Septrin prescribed for infections. Just ask your doctor to check ingredients before prescribing. In the meantime information on methotrexate is in the post to you.

Best wishes

Simona

Thanks to both for your replys.
    Went to Docs today & it is not an infection thankfully. Just one of those side effects of a steroid jab. It seems a bit odd to me that it is so sore after 8 weeks though.
  • cancan
    Well I am now getting on for 3 months down the line. I still am very sore, swollen and it is red hot. I have rung my Rhumi help line. They said they would get back to me when they had spoken to someone. So far I have heard nothing.
    I can't help worrying incase an infection gets to my blood stream, I don't totally trust what the doc said.
  • cancan
    Just been told to put ice on it.
  • helpline_team
    I can understand that you are concerned about this. Do feel free to give us a ring here if you would like to have a talk. There is no need for you to stay anxious about this, someone medically qualified may need to take a look at it for you.
    Do get in touch by phone or private message if you'd like to.
    all the best
    Guy
  • cancan
    Thanks for the reply Guy.
    I am going to give it a few days and do as suggested with the ice, see what happens.
  • cancan
    I just thought you may be interested to know my latest situation 4 months since the jab.

The swelling has stayed there all summer, then approx 2 weeks ago it turned red, inflamed and formed an abcess. The doc gave me antibiotics, then it burst of it's own accord. I am now on my 3rd different type of antibiotic, have a horrible wound and it hurts like h***. I have been going to the nurse regularly to have it re dressed. It has started to look very slightly better but they say it will be a long haul and the methatrexate wont help matters with the healing. I will probably have to go to hospital to have it cleaned out and plastic surgery has been mentioned.
    If that isn't a pain in the bum I dont know what is.
    I am told it is a sterile infection but no one including my Rhumy has seen anything like it before.
    It doesn't need to be said I will never have another steroid jab as long as I live. I am also now scared of any other jab incase it happens again.
  • helpline_team
    Hi Cancan

Oh dear, I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a horrible time with this - and for such a long time too. I do hope you're on the mend now.

Best wishes from all of us here

Val
  • cancan
    Just thought I would give you a further update as it may be of interest to lots of you. It is 4 months since the abcess burst now. Dressing changed every few days over that time. Now they have discovered although most of it is healing there is still a virtical tract where the needle went in which is still there, (they know this as they shoved a probe in) it's the length of the needle 2" or more. :shock: So now I am to be referred back to hospital to have it cut open and cleaned out, all that time healing for nothing. This won't be treated as an emergancy so goodness knows how much longer it will go on.
    I still wonder if I was injected in the wrong way somehow. All I know is at the time it didn't hurt at all, I didn't know it had been done and I thought it was ment to be painful. But of course I have no proof of anything.
  • helpline_team
    Hello Cancan

Goodness me just when you thought it couldn't get anyworse! We're just sorry you've been through such a terrible time with it. At least they've got to the bottom of it! Let hope this is the end of this awful experience for you. Hope you are able to have a good Christmas and we wish you a Very Happy and pain free year if that possible. Well lets put it on santa's list and hope!

Take care, best wishes

Simona
  • cancan
    Thank you Simona for your good wishes. I am just very worried and nervous as to how it will be done as it is such a deep wound to cut open and clean out. I can imagine it bleeding a lot and very uncomfortable because of the position it is in!