Knee support sleeve

Options

Hello. I have OA hip and knee, but not bad enough for surgery thank goodness. I want to increase my exercising to build up muscle power in my leg but knee very painful when walking. Does the community have any views or experiences of using a knee support sleeve please? Thank you.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

You are best off chatting to your Physio, OT or GP as there are so many available commercially that some may do more harm than good; it may be that you would be better off with a made to measure brace.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @Jennifer001

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. Physiotherapists really want us to work, so our muscles to gradually get stronger, to support our joints better. If a support is used too much, the fear is we may rely on it too much. Another concern is that a tight fit may impede blood supply.

If you can it's worth talking this over with a health professional (ideally a physio). They may strike a deal with you, so you avoid becoming too dependent on a support, but use something occasionally - but it will depend on their judgement of your situation.

As always it's about building up exercise gradually, so your stamina and muscles improve.

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

And while you are working on your fitness, do see our information on healthy eating, so you can balance that side of things.

If you'd like a chat, or some information please do ring us on our freephone.

Best wishes

Guy

Helpline Team