Vaccine

Hi just a quick question. On good morning Britain yesterday morning It was mentioned quickly that a study has shown that people with immunity issues aren’t very protected by the vaccine. This has made me very worried as I work in retail and with the lifting of the restrictions I’m quite scared and I don’t know what to do?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @Lucy2001 and welcome to the online community,

You don’t mention what condition you have, but you are concerned that because of your immunity issues you aren’t very protected by the vaccine. Many of the drugs used to treat arthritis are immunosuppressants which, while helpful in the treatment of these conditions, do leave us more susceptible to infection, including Covid 19. If you take a drug that affects your immune system, it would be wise to have a chat with your GP, Rheumatology Consultant or Nurse. They can discuss with you the sorts of measures you might need to protect yourself. It could be that continuing to wear a mask in indoor public places, keeping a social distance and frequent hand washing are all that’s needed to keep safe ( which are all things we are recommended to continue doing anyway) or you might need to take further measures.

Versus Arthritis has a very informative page on Covid 19 for people with Arthritis. It gives useful advice and also talks about the risks and benefits. There is also a section on vaccines that you might find useful:

All our members live with arthritis in some way, and will understand your concerns. Perhaps if you told us a little more about yourself - what sort of arthritis you have and what medication you are on - others may be able to share their experiences with you.

Best wishes,

Anna ( Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi @Lucy2001

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I am sorry you are so worried about the level of protection you may have from the vaccination.

I hope you found the links and insight Anna provided (thanks Anna) helpful and reassuring.

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 to talk things through with one of our helpline team. If we know a little more about your situation, we may be able to provide more tailored support.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team