Celecoxib

Options

Hello, I am new here. I have just been prescribed celecoxib (will start today) but having read about some of the side effects (online) I feel a little concerned. I have been prescribed what I think is a low dose though (100mg) as and when needed (for flare ups, and am currently experiencing a period of pain). I would be interested in hearing others’ experiences of this medication. I have mild asthma by the way. I don’t know if I am right to be wary or worrying unnecessarily. Have had problems with methotrexate and sulfasalazine. Thanks so much.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Bell62 welcome to the Online Community. I see you are asking the helplines about your recently prescribed medication - celecoxib - about which you have some worries.

I imagine you have done a lot of reading already but just in case while you are waiting for the helplines to get back to you I am attaching this information:

The Section entitled 'Other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSADDs) is the relevant part for you.

It might be worth reposting over in the Life with arthritis Category too to get our members' experiences.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hello @Bell62 thanks for your post. Reading between the lines it looks like you have some sort of inflammatory arthritis. I’m wondering who prescribed the Celecoxib for you and if they were aware of your asthma? If it was your rheumatology team then I’m sure they will have taken that into account. It is actually quite difficult to answer your questions online and I wonder if a chat with our free helpline would be a better way forward. You can call us on 0800 520 0520 9 – 6 Monday to Friday. We are friendly and a safe space to talk through your concerns. We can’t give you medical advice but we can help you ask the right questions of your medical team. Best Wishes Helpline advisor Gillian

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

I take Arcoxia @Bell62

It's a similar medication a Cox-2 inhibitor I think they call them. Less harsh certainly on the stomach than normal NSAIDs.

I have found it very helpful indeed, but Although i do have a lung condition it's not asthma.

Take care

Toni xx