Val's Cafe

Comments

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 3,949

Hi again @frogmorton / Toni, you got me thinking about weddings, I’m somewhat unusual in that I’m not a big fan of them, it wouldn’t be so bad, if they didn’t go on for too long, lol, I try to get out of going if at all poss, of course it was diff for my sister’s wedding. I was naturally pleased on her behalf, but the whole thing was an ordeal. For a start, I had stomach upset, so I just had a bit salad and v little else, secondly my mum insisted I stay up all night for the wedding, and after taking all my usual tablets, that was a nightmare, plus there was a kind of demon - niece on the loose, who was visiting from India. I spent a lot to time sitting on the sofa near the loos, luckily my stomach behaved itself in the end, lol. Ok, bye for now. Tc x

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Afternoon all sorry about yesterday eyes not good

Toni no wonder you welled up ..so nice to see the venue for the first time..I am really impressed with the bee bombs much better than the boxed seeds xx

Reshmi I adore chocolate and not suppose to eat it potassium I think..I know what you mean about weddings going on to long..I used to love them but not now xx

Mike hope you get help with the flag pole ..think we got away lightly xx

Joan I don't know how you remember everyone ..I use a pen and pad 😅xx

Kath we still have our family bible from 1905..I still like looking through it..🙂hope your roif us OK xx

Love to all xxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • bosh

Hi @barbara12 , no need to apologise, sorry your eyes weren’t good, I like chocolate too, but it’s not good for me either, skin, teeth etc, I had a tooth out recently, so I’m trying to relatively “good”, not sure how long it’ll last though, that’s good about weddings, I agree, also my mum used to make me wear saris to them and I can’t manage wearing so much fabric properly and once I fell down in road, then I stopped wearing them, I’ve had yucky methotrexate so I’m going to try to sleep now. Tc Barbara.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Flag pole fixed thankfully and the weather backed off to allow the sun to appear for most of the day but showers back this morning. Vixen is keeping up her regime of wanting cuddles all the time, thankfully the Olympics are on as I am unable to do anything for fear of disturbing her! 🙂

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Awwww Vixen is not happy about the weather so Dad is the best place to sit! I'm very glad the flag pole is sorted for you Mike that must have been a worry.

Olympics is good!

Barbara I hope the eyes are a bit better today?

I have two bee bombs but it's a big area and a packet of seeds given to me so I will expect better results from the bee bombs😊 Do I have to plant them any particular time?

The garden is beginning to take shape about half way now I think.

Is Niamh with you this weekend? I expect she is bless her.

Luckily our weddings are literally one day affairs so don't go on too long Reshmi if they did I would collapse too! A demon nice is not a nice thought 😈. We only have one small person coming who had better be looked after by her family!!!!

I had an upset stomach for Tia (my step daughter)'s wedding in 2019 so I know the feeling i think it might be nerves or stress or something like that.

Warm dress and tights sounds lovely! and a big coat! At least I'm not in a flimsy white dress!

Kitty Kat thank you for sharing that Scripture ((())) Yesterday's post didn't post for you? How infuriating and you will have today 'off' enjoy and rest xxx It's terrible to hear of people in Russia being imprisoned and tortured for their beliefs 😯Writing letters is very wise in a pandemic and of course if someone is older or unable to get out.

Let's hope your Dad had the sense to stay in teh warm yesterday even our builders gae up as the cement was being washed away.

Lucy and I were so cold we bobbed the heating on for an hour! I had vest long sleeved blouse and cardy! fffffreezing!

Using your walker in the house is good as long as you keep moving. That's my opinion anyway!

The venue was absolutely gorgeous and the journey there and back an easy one. I had a tear or two😳

Loved the rice noodle bowl thank you.

Oh Joan i am so sorry Sue is losing more carers but it's good they are going to college. Lucy's ankle is doing very well indeed! Boot off back to work in under 2 weeks now she can't wait.

Charley and Annie live about 2 miles from here and Tia and Mikey maybe 3 Joan? So we are lucky we can see lots of them except in lockdown. It is so upsetting when the girls have left home, but they are living their lives which is what you want for them really 😓How are you and Sue? ((())) xxx

Love of course to Carol and Chris ((())) xxx

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I hope you have not got more pains than normal now. How is Chris's leg ((())) love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Reshmi ((())) I hope you have a good weekend. We go out in the mornings with the dogs after dinner and the carers have been we do the cards on the computer (spider solitaire fee cell tri peeks pyramid and kondike )not for money. I wear my thermal vest I only left it off when it was warm.

Barbara ((())) have a good weekend love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) have a good weekend love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((()))) and Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott (()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh

Hi @kathleenT and @Turbogran , i hope you’re both ok today? Hi Toni, yes, multi-day weddings are terrible, but luckily sister’s wedding was a bit non-trad , in the sense of it only being a day, but a long day that ended in early morning really, hence lack of sleep. Yes, the niece was terrible, lol her parents weren’t even trying to control her, at one point she tried to create a fire with candle decorations!! Luckily my mum caught her in time and thank goodness for that. Sorry you had upset stomach too, yes stress etc can def cause it. I just have a bit of a delicate stomach in general unfortunately, but it has got a bit stronger than it was then. Ty about my clothes suggestion, yes, big coat is essential, true, wedding dress not the warmest outfit, lol. Have a nice afternoon, Tc. Hi @dachshund , that’s great that you’re keeping busy and getting fresh air, thermal vests are great things, I agree, my sis on the other hand, is so obsessed with fashion that she won’t wear thermals, she barely even wears trainers or winter boots, even when minus temperatures outside! Little sisters, definitely in a league of their own. My stomach is a bit upset today, so I’m eating v carefully today, which is never fun, anyway stomach prob can’t last forever, lol, have a good afternoon @dachshund . Take care.

• barbara12

Evening all

Had a lovely day at a summer Market on our High St.. its the first one and lots if entertainment

Toni dint think these eyes will get any better but I will carry on some how

Yes we took Niamh to the market and she held an owl on her arm she loved it

I planted the bee bombs at the end if spring I love them..xx

Mike glad the flag pole us standing proud again good for you xx

Reshmi sorry you feel sickly I hope it soon wears off ,I had a shock when I saw how much material there us un a sari..I can imagine how warm they feel xx

Joan thankyou again for all the hugs live to all if you xx

Xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Morning everyone!

Well after I posted to you yesterday morning something amazing happened!

I ended up in my Figaro on Silverstone racing tracking with a load of other Figs doing an anniversary parade lap for 30 years since they were invented!

I had tried and failed to get a ticket, but one came up on facebook and two very young Figaro owners had been watching for me!

So I dragged Paul out of bed and said 'shall we'?

We left without a reply from the ticket offerer, but he replied while we were on the way (His wife's Fig is off the Rd) and we got there and met him at the gate! What a fabulous day that turned out. Paul did all the driving except on the track - that was mine! There will be videos in time I'll try to get the links up.

For now

Penelope is the one before last!

Us lining up on the track ready to go! I hope you all agree Penelope's pink is far nice than the one next to her - a little too 'Barbie' methinks!

It was the Silverstone Classic all outside so felt safe enough Just needed my mask to nip to the loo!

Joan as you can see I had a brilliant weekend! I hope yours has been ok too? Mind it did rain a few times🙄 ((())) xxx for you and Sue

Morning Mike. How are you today? Much rain? My puss just went out for her morning trek and came back in soaked😕 Apparently there is a Figaro 'do' in Cornwall at some point next year. It's a fair way from here maybe I should go, but then I might turn into an emmet?😮

Morning Barbara it sounds like a lovely day you had. Reminds me of France a proper market with entertainment. Your Niamh will try anything won't she? I'm glad she was with you.😊

I know your eyes won't ever really improve, but some days are better???

So I have to wait to do my bee bombs then? Ah well never mind I can be patient....

Hi Kath! I hope you feel suitably rested after yesterday's day off from the internet?

Love of course to Chris and Carol.

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Reshmi ((())) I'm sorry you have a tummy upset I hope it does not last too long ((())) have a good day ((()))

Barbara ((())) I'm glad you enjoyed the market ((())) and Niamh was brave with the bird ((())) what is a bee bomb. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) thank you for the photo's they are lovely I'm glad you saw it in time so you could go (((())) I have not seen you on here for a few days I wondered what was wrong I'm glad everything is alright ((()))

Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Love to Kath ((())) and family ((())) Chris ((())) and Carol ((())) Mig ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Glad you had a good day with your broom-broom yesterday Froggie. Vixen has decided to stay out for a day or two now since the wetness has eased off and it is getting warmer again, at least I can make a brew when I want to now.

• dachshund

Toni ((())) I found your last post good ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh

Hi @barbara12 , glad you enjoyed the market. Thanks about my stomach, it’s not too bad atm, but it’s still relatively early, so I suppose time will tell. Yes lot of fabric in a sari, my mum says the cotton saris don’t feel warm, but maybe that’s because she’s used to them. I hope you have a nice morning too.

• bosh

Hi toni , glad you enjoyed yourself at Silverstone. Take care.

• bosh

Thanks Joan, I went for a walk today, but I wore tights and all that so was properly dressed, so felt ok, I also got a bit of a stroppy letter from hospital, as my last blood test was a bit late, but there’s so much going at home, babies etc always visiting and shouting, hanging on and on , when trying to book test at GP’s. Anyway my mum helped me and next blood test is at hospital, so that’s good. Also GP’s receptionist is rude and is a bully, it’s an ear - bashing with her all time. Do you have to have monthly blood tests? Just curious. Ok, take care Joan. Bye for now.

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, cats, dogs and posh cars.

Yesterday was quite cold, so I've fished me winter woollies out. August 1st already and I don't know where the time's gone! But I spent most of the day compiling a Scripture Diary. Most enjoyable.

Barbara, I don't know how you can read an old fashioned Bible with your poor eyes. I like one written in modern English that I can understand. Even then I use an audio Bible so someone else can do the reading while I sit with m eyes closed. There's one on https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/study-bible/books/ and again at https://www.jw.org/en/library/bible/ where you can find a few different translations.

Reshmi, As a child I was friends with a family from Pakistan. My friend Shanaz showed me one of her mother's saris. She was such a tiny lady who had 2 sons and 4 or 5 daughters. All of them were so clever and when they grew up they became doctors, lawyers and became very important members of the community. Sadly their father died very young and mum (who at that time spoke very little English) did an excellent job of raising her family while running a successful business.

Joan, I hope you and Sue are keeping well.

Toni, get you - driving Penelope at Silverstone! Yes, you don't want to look like Barbie! Penny's pink is lovely -not cheap and tacky. 😕

Right, grub time.

CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SAVORY VEGAN COBBLER

Creamy Cauliflower Savory Vegan Cobbler

Tender bits of cauliflower, carrots, parsnips and chickpeas are simmered in creamy dairy-free sauce and baked up in a fluffy biscuit-topped casserole to make this savory vegan cobbler.

Ingredients

For the Casserole

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 ½ cups diced carrots, about 2 medium

1 ½ cups diced parsnips, about 1 large

3 garlic cloves, minced

¼ cup all-purpose flour

6 cups cauliflower florets, about 1 large crown

2 cups vegetable broth

2 cups unflavored and unsweetened non-dairy milk

½ cup nutritional yeast flakes

2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried

1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 teaspoon dried

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

1 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1-2 tablespoons cayenne pepper hot sauce, optional

For the Biscuit Topping

1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour, or all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

⅓ cup vegan butter

¾ cup unflavored and unsweetened non-dairy milk

Instructions

Coat the bottom of a large pot with olive oil and place it over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrots, and parsnips. Sauté for about 10 minutes, until the veggies are softened. Add in the garlic and sauté about 1 minute more, until very fragrant. Add in the flour and stir until the veggies are well coated.

Stir in the cauliflower, broth, milk, nutritional yeast, thyme, rosemary, soy sauce, and vinegar. Raise heat to high and bring to a simmer. Lower heat and allow to simmer until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the hot sauce if using.

While the stew simmers, preheat the oven to 375° and begin making the biscuit dough. Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter and cut it in with a fork or pastry cutter, until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the milk to form a dough.

Once the stew is finished simmering, transfer it to a 9 x 9 inch baking dish. Scoop ¼-cupfuls of the dough (you should get about 9) and arrange then on top of the stew.

Place the baking dish into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until the biscuits are fluffy and the stew is just getting bubbly. Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.

Serve and enjoy. 🍽️

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh

Hi @kathleenT , how are you, I’ve been wondering whether I’m a cat, dog or a posh car, probably a bit of each, lol. That’s very interesting about Pakistani lady, my sister is also a lawyer, incidentally, lol. Despite her excellent academic success, she had a big struggle getting training contact, must have made over 200 applications, v competitive profession indeed. Quite a sexist profession too, she used to tell me, she had a really dodgy boss at one point, but luckily she found another job in a better environment quite quick. Interesting recipe, I like cauliflower. Tc.

• barbara12

Afternoon all I am loveung the Olympics and we have a young girl runner in the 800 final on Tuesday from my home town and 2 from the next town 😀

Kath I have my page magnifier but to be honest I love looking at the hand painted pictures they are all covered in tissue

Thankyou for the cauli recipe how good it looks xx

Toni get you at Silverstone..bet that was a fantastic day especially has you thought you couldn't go 😁yes Penelope is the nicest shade if pink xx

Joan a bee bomb is a ball of compost with wild fliwer seeds in that attract bees..I'm so please with mine you just throw them down and water them xx

Reshmi when I had my first hip replaced the Indian lady in the next bed said her sons had never seen her ankles.. bless glad you don't have to wear a sari must say I love the colours of them xx

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 2. Aug 2021, 05:45

Morning everyone!

Today and yesterday were better weather here Mike so my puss went out more too. You just can't move when you cat honours you with her presence can you? Such an honour❤️ Gosh Silverstone was AMAZING!!!!

Barbara it was such an amazing surprise to be able to go at all when I hadn't been able to get tickets. There is a trip to France next year (if it happens of course) their big classic car show in June I think. It's a maybe, but Paul would have to drive it's far too far for me.

As you know my bee bombs are ready and waiting!

I hope your local girl does well in the 800m I am going to start watching the refugee team ow I know about them from the telly🙂

Kitty Kat cauliflower cheese - VEGAN! thank you so much I have missed that you know!

Very wise to have your bible on audio too you can listen to it without needing to strain your eyes. I listen to my audio books when i do the dinner or clean or do my puzzles I try in the shower but the water is just too loud!

Thank you I think baby pink s more appropriate for the Figaro - not tacky - and more in keeping with teh original 4 colours which are very subtle.

I had my vest, long sleeved blouse and cardy on and still Lucy and me had the heating on yesterday. Paul was back at Silverstone🙄he was going yesterday anyway!!! He said he missed me! No idea why I'm sure I'm a liability!

Reshmi I am sure being mean is part of the GP's receptionist's job description! Getting past them and being treated properly is the hardest part! Lucy has bloods this morning bless her and it's really getting to be time I booked mine.

Let us know when you're going to the hospital and we'll all 'come with you' in spirit under our 'cloak of invisibility' Like Harry Potter! YOU take care too ((()))

Morning Joan thank you Silverstone was amazing! It won't happen again in my lifetime I suspect. Don't worry about me I'm ok we sometimes can't find each other can we? I had a cuppa with my lovely neighbours the other day when Paul was at work. Better get on Lucy has bloods this morning. Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Love of course to Chris and Carol

• bosh

Ty @barbara12 , thanks about the sari, yes some Asian ladies can be v modest, especially the Muslim ladies, not being disrespectful of course, just stating facts. Yes, saris can be colourful, I still had to wear Indian clothes for sister’s wedding, also nice colour, sort of dark blue, so, sort of tunic and tight trousers, but the trouser part didn’t fit , even though it had been made by the tailor, so I wore it with leggings instead, lol. That’s great about your local athletes. You know it’s interesting about villages, my part of Reading used to be a village once, I think prob till after WW2. Hope you enjoy watching Olympics today. Tc.

• bosh

Hi Toni, glad Silverstone was great. Ty about GP’s receptionist, that’s true, most of them are nasty here too, I’ve only met one really nice one, she walks dogs p time, strangely enough and always talks to my dad if she sees him in park. Ty v much about hospital appointment, it’s in November and should be just a check up hopefully. Diff topic now, not only has Bil never properly cooked, he also pretends he cooks, one day he told mum he’d cook wife special Valentine’s Day meal, but he just went to shop and bought bread rolls and potato salad and that was supposed to be a full nutritious homemade meal! He also ate almost all the chocolates in her choc box, I think he left her one or two! Oh dear, good job she’s not a divorce lawyer, only joking. Take care. X

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I walk around our garden with the walking frame we have a big garden that goes from the side of the garden and right around the back. Has your pain gone. Love to Chris (()))) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Reshmi ((())) I don't have a lot of blood tests. Have you got Osteoarthritis. a sari would be no good for me I don't move quick enough now to keep warm. Sorry about your doctors receptionist being like that. Have a good day and take care ((()))

Barbara ((())) thank you for saying about a bee bomb we have those big blue flowers that begin with a b.

Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) it's not long till your ex-Ray ((()))

Toni ((())) Good luck to Lucy ((())) for her blood test. Yes we have had our heating on. Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) and Carol (((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Morning all, I hope I will have interesting to say - but I fear not!

Toni, yes baby pink is definitely better. I love all pastel colours, they remind me of all the baby knitting I did. Although I once knitted Emily a baby romper suit in a lovely rich blue with a pink stripe around the edge. I used a French knitting pattern. You began at the sleeve edge then knitted across the body to the opposite sleeve. This is similar but not the colour.

Innit luvvli duck.

Joan, I'm due a blood test this week, I hope she comes today. I'd love to take my walker outside, but Chris won't let me. 😮

Reshmi, As a teenager I worked in a solicitoe's office, filing and running errands. The girls were lovely, but the boss and his son were really snobbish and stuck up.

Barbara, I bet your page magnifier is a real boon. I once had a neighbour who was partially blind. She had a huge table top magnifier she could put whole books and newspapers in it to read them.

BTW Toni, what was on that plate you posted?

Creamy vegan sun-dried tomato and broccolini gnocchi

Contains gluten, peanuts, tree nuts, milk and soy.

Ready in just 10 minutes, this creamy vegan gnocchi dish is perfect for a quick and filling hit of veg.

• 1 garlic clove
    • 1 bunch broccolini
    • 500g pkt fresh mini or regular-sized gnocchi
    • 150g (1 cup) frozen peas
    • 100g sun-dried tomato strips, 1 tbsp oil reserved from jar
    • 1 tbsp plain flour
    • 375ml (11 ⁄2 cups) So Good Almond Original milk
    • Fresh basil leaves, to serve
    • Select all ingredients
    • Step 1
    • Put the kettle on.
    • Step 2
    • While the kettle boils, crush the garlic and cut the broccolini stalks in half lengthways. Heat a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
    • Step 3
    • Pour the boiling water into a large saucepan over high heat. (Don’t fill too high or it will take too long to boil again.) Add the gnocchi and cook until gnocchi rise to the surface, adding the peas and broccolini in the last minute of cooking. Drain.
    • Step 4
    • Once the frying pan is hot, pour in the reserved sun-dried tomato oil. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the flour. Cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in the almond milk until well combined. Return to a medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture boils. Simmer for 3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly. Season.
    • Step 5
    • Add the gnocchi mixture and tomato strips to the sauce and stir to combine. Divide among serving bowls, season and top with basil.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh

Hi @dachshund , no, well, just a little bit on some of my fingers, but mainly it’s psoriatic arthritis in my case, you don’t have a lot of blood tests, that’s good, I have them monthly, but before was fortnightly. I know what you mean about saris, def not good for cold winter- type weather.I know what you mean about moving, some days it’s not so bad for me, but other days, I get so tired and down to be honest, but I’m not feeling down all the time. I’ve got a mental health coffee group tomorrow morning most likely, so I’m not sure yet if I’ll be on here tomorrow morning or not. Ty about docs receptionist. I hope you’re having a nice evening too. Take care.

• frogmorton

Think I should be looking where I'm going really?