I'm ready to share a little more

ocean
ocean Member Posts: 18
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Reading stories about osteoarthritis and the concern people have has surprised me in that I've never really taken my own seriously. I have osteoarthritis as well as everything else in my hip , knees and shoulders. I also have osteoporosis (due to a total hysterectomy 16 years ago ,was quite young at the time ) and foolishly I thought that osteoarthritis was due to that. I never realised it can lead to joint replacement ! I'm actually trying to assess why i don't really react to my health issues with concern. I do suffer with depression quiet bad and am now thinking if it's because the depression makes me feel not worthy of help. Got lump in my throat writing this. I've hidden these feeling from family

😓

and friends

Comments

• Grace111
    Grace111 Member Posts: 30

Hi @ocean

well done for sharing, it's your first step to taking care of yourself. 😊 I have experienced depression too and as a result I have always tended to put everyone else's needs first.

Giant hugs

Sharon

• ocean

Thanks Grace 111. That's exactly what i do put everyone before me . I try so hard not too but i feel so guilty if i don't, even when i'm so fatigued that i can't move! I can be in so much pain and still you'll find me sorting everyone out !

• Wendolyn1
    Wendolyn1 Member Posts: 13

Hi Ocean,

You were kind enough to leave me a welcome message when I joined the other day, so I would like to send big hugs to you, and just say it's good to talk. A trouble shared is a trouble halved as the saying goes. My main reason for joining this community is to hopefully share the ups and downs of life with you all, be a support for people when I can help, and visa versa.

Take care, xx

• ocean

Hi Wendolyn1 Thank you for your lovely comments and hugs ☺️

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Ocean,

Thank you for being so honest and how really brave you are, it’s total rubbish dealing with osteo and depression all I can say is your not alone here there are really nice people who are going through the same they say a problem shared is a problem solved so please keep sharing shout at the top of your lungs if you want stamp your feet if it doesn’t hurt too much I do well more of a gentle tap I’m that old now something might fall off 😉 sending big hugs and stay strong

love Jona 💐💐💐

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Try reading “Depression, the curse of the strong” by Tim Cantopher. Short and easy to read, and very relatable. You are worthy of support and care , not only from others but also from yourself. Ir’s your turn now. Sending a big hug x

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 3. Aug 2021, 05:55

As I live alone I talk to my cat! Seriously it makes me feel better. I think that depression goes hand in hand with OA, it does with me anyway as every day I am reminded what I can no longer do and I used to be fighting fit now I'm crippled and use a wheelchair. I only have 1 Sister and 2 friends that visit me occasionally so I do not talk about my pain etc for fear of frightening them off as, apart from the cat, they are all I have. I also find coming on here a couple of times a day helps too.