Saying Hi

Options
Hazel18
Hazel18 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Don't know if I'm at the correct place on this site but just joined and wanted to say hello. Been suffering with osteoarthritis in the hip for a few years now. Found aquafit helped but with Covid activity curtailed and now feel condition has got worse. Also moved house to be nearer family and wanted to join local support but understand meetings not on at the moment. In the main, how do people cope with the stiffness.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Hazel18 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I do hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have had osteoarthritis in the hip for a few years and good that aquafit helped. Let's hope that as we move out of restrictions you will be able to find a session near to your new home and take it up again.

Our website contains a lot of useful information and is easy to search, to help you I've put a couple of links in below that you may find of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their experiences and hints and tips

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi Hazel, and welcome. My hip OA really kicked off at the start of 2020, and like you, with lockdown, all my exercise classes closed down, no access to hydrotherapy pools, walking was too painful, all I was left with was gentle gardening. It's possible that your arthritis has deteriorated in the last year or so, so it would be worth a review with your GP. Have you been referred for treatment or surgery yet? Do your meds need updating?

Pain relief isn't limited to pills - you'll need more in your armoury. This link may give you some ideas that might work for you.

It's also worth seeing a good physio (private is quicker and not that expensive) to give you an exercise regime that works for you. You could also try some of the exercise classes on this site, (eg Let's Move with Leon) which help get your whole body moving - it's so easy to tense up without realising when you're in pain, and that only makes things worse. They're as gentle as you need them to be, and quite good fun.

If all else fails, there's always mindfulness and distraction, which I've found really helpful when the pain gets bad.

Hope these help. Keep coming on this forum for tips, a natter or a good moan. We all know how bad it can get. LM x

• Hazel18
    Hazel18 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks Lilymary. We moved house in March so been pretty busy with that, doing the chores that come along with that. I've had to register with a new Dr practice and hope to have a,review soon. I would like to get back to aquafit but as this will be a new class I am hoping that they may let me view a class so that I can work out whether I think I'll be able to do it. Also I'm not really a swimmer and like to be in water I can cope with. Seems like I'm a bit of a woose doesn't it.

The worse thing for me at present is the stiffness, getting up from the sofa and I seem more weary but sometimes have difficulty sleeping. Its a bind isn't it but I'm not giving up. Hope you don't too. I'm an onwards and upwards kinda girl. Anyway, that enough about me. It would be nice to speak again meanwhile you take care..

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Hi Hazel, fatigue is part of arthritis I’m afraid. But it helps if you can get a decent night’s sleep. If it’s pain that wakes you up, take a few painkillers before you go to bed, and experiment with cushions to prop you in a position that comfortable for your hip. I found it helped if my hip and knee joints were slightly flexed, so had cushions under my hip and ankle.

I had hip replacement a few months ago but I’m not going to win any prizes for rate of recovery (!), so I’m stiff as a board if I’ve been sitting too long and stagger and shuffle across the room trying to straighten up. I find a few gentle stretching exercises help. We’re supposed not to sit for more than an hour at a time to stop seizing up, but I never remember and pay the price afterwards!

I hope your new aqua fit classes work out ok for you. Swimming and aquarobics are a great way to work arthritic joints, loosen up the rest of your body, get some cardio in, and will really lift your mood.