Where to start….

Goldstone
Goldstone Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

So I have Psoriatic Arthritis . I’ve never heard of it before. I woke up last Monday and I couldn’t move my neck, arms higher than 30° forwards or rotate. My knee would not straighten and my hip on the other side kept giving way. The pain made me cry, I felt useless and scared.

What happens now? I’m moving again thank goodness but still painful. Will this happen often?

I hope someone can advise me please:-)

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Goldstone firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have been recently diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I appreciate getting a new diagnosis can be a scary time. Let me assure you that you are not alone and the forum is a fantastic place to find others with similar experiences.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to some information (including an animated video) that could help to get you started, some general information on Psoriatic Arthritis, what it is, what you can expect and what you can do to help.

Also here is a link to a similar recent post that may help connect you with similar new PSA patients in our community.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you get some relief and answers soon.

Thanks

Joe

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Goldstone

I remember exactly how you feel! I woke up one morning stuck in position unable to straighten up without acute agony.

Looking back there were clues that something was wrong. I also have inflammatory arthritis too, not PsA, but the treatment is the same more or less and so is the pain.

Once they have you on meds to control the disease you shouldn't have this sort of thing happening too often at all. I know it's terrifying at the moment, but first of all you need to see a rheumatologist for treatment. Keep talking. Keep getting (reliably) informed for example here/ NHS but not Dr Google!

I am sending you ((())) and promise things will get better.

• Grace111
    Grace111 Member Posts: 30

Hi @Goldstone

I just wanted to let you know that I can totally relate to how you feel. I have psoriatic arthritis as well. I woke up with two elbows and two knees that wouldn’t straighten. That was a lot of years ago now but I was very scared. As Frogmorton says the important thing is to build a good relationship with your consultant, ask lots of questions and be sure to tell them what is and isn’t working for you. I found that my treatment worked well when I spoke honestly and agreed a treatment plan I was happy with. The medicines today are much better and it’s worth working hard to get what helps you. Also ask for some hydrotherapy and find a local pool that you can get exercise in. I don’t mean swimming as such although that’s great but exercises. You will get there honestly!!

Grace111