Any advice welcome

AnnR
AnnR Member Posts: 52
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I’ve just been told I’ve got osteoarthritis in my right hip.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hello @AnnR

welcome to the community, it is lovely that you are here. I have seen that you have recently been told that you have osteoarthritis in your right hip. I think that this link might be useful for you to read

Please ask as many questions as you want as there are lots of experience members on here that I know will support you

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @AnnR , I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis, it can some as an awful shock. This is a lovely friendly forum and they really helped me when I got my hip diagnosis last year (now just had surgery), there's so much life experience and advice on here. Keep asking questions, it's ok to feel rubbish from time to time, we all know how it feels. LM x

• AnnR

Thankyou Sharon, I look forward to be part of this community.

• AnnR

Hello Lilymary, Thankyou for you comments. Yes feeling a bit stunned at the moment. I hope you get to see this reply as I’m not very good with things online.

• Lilymary

Your comment came through fine @AnnR , well done! Keep posting, I really found it helped me when things got tough.

• C1955J
    C1955J Member Posts: 20

Hi @AnnR I have also just joined this forum / online community too....and have already found it to be friendly and helpful.

Like yourself, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my right hip. I have seen a consultant and am now on a waiting list for surgery.

Initially I was given anti-inflammatory medication and several physiotherapy appointments. I have good days and bad but am learning that it is ok to not feel ok.

I'm happy to offer advice based on my experience so far....feel free to ask.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Welcome welcome @AnnR

Lovely to meet you. Sorry to hear about your OA in your right hip.

I bet you are doing the 'in shock' bit along with almost relief that they have 'found something' to explain your pain.

Personally I have found over the year that talking (here is best as family quickly get bored/upset listening to me moan!) is the most helpful thing I can do. So you are in the right place ask anything we'll try to help.

Take care

• AnnR

Thankyou everyone for your comments. I’m still working out how to use the site so bear with me.

• AnnR

I’m on various painkillers as I also have fibromyalgia, but I’m wondering if anti-inflammatory tablets would be better than my morphine. I was put off the anti-inflammatories by the side effects to the liver and the tablets that you take with them to protect the stomach also can weaken the bones. What’s general opinion as to what pain relief works best with arthritis? Ann x

• Lilymary
    edited 17. Aug 2021, 20:38

Painkillers are really the province of the medics. What they can offer will depend very much on your pain levels and types of arthritis, any other medical conditions and medications you are on, and what your body can tolerate, as you are already finding. I was on cocodamol and naproxen (anti inflammatory) and omeprazole to protect my stomach from the naproxen. Like most pain relief for arthritis, all this did was knock the edge off the pain to give some degree of relief and mobility. When I quickly found this inadequate, the GP said there wasn’t anything else he could offer due to other medications. I did briefly stop the naproxen during a bout of indigestion, and noticed the difference in pain levels, so went back on them again when my tum recovered.

• C1955J
    C1955J Member Posts: 20

Following my diagnosis I was given the anti-inflammatory Naproxen and also Omeprazole to protect my stomach. Although these initially worked well for me and reduced the pain significantly, I had a sensitivity to them and had side effects resulting in me not being able to take them.

Don't be too put off by this, I may be the exception because I am a person who suffers with allergies anyway.

I am only taking Co-codamol now.

• AnnR

Thankyou LM and C1955J. I think I’m going to give the anti-inflammatory medications a go as I’m just getting sleepy with the morphine and not much relief from pain. It’s probably trial and error at this stage until I reach a happy medium. I’m speaking to my GP on Friday morning so I’ll sort things out with him. Once I can get rid of some of the pain I can start doing some Pilates and walk short distances which in itself should help and raise my mood too.