End Stage Hip osteoarthritis pain

Options
Wilko
Wilko Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Does anyone else suffer with lateral hip and thigh pain with end stage hip osteoarthritis. Also mine sometimes feeling like my muscles and tendons are damaged, with sharp stabbing and sometimes burning pain.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Wilko and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have hip and thigh pain and that you have hip arthritis, with sometimes sharp stabbing and burning pain. Have you asked your GP about this? Our website has a lot of useful information and a search function for specifics and I would suggest you have a look around it. To help I've put in a couple of links below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you get on and I am sure others will connect with you to share their experiences as well

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 25. Aug 2021, 23:02
    Options

Hi @Wilko , sorry to hear your pains are so bad. You're probably getting a combination of nerve pain from the hip and referred pains lower down the leg. I had THR 4 months ago, but before this the referred pains were sometimes worse than the joint pain. It varies from one person to another, but mine were mainly stabbing pains in the knee and a burning pain down my shin, but with some burning sensations down the outside of the thigh as well.

The pain in the hip may be a pinch point where it’s bone on bone. Eg, I found lying down with my leg straight was really uncomfortable, as it obviously placed the joint in a bone on bone position worse than usual, so I slept with cushions propping my leg so it was supported with the joints slightly flexed. But as I say, everyone’s slightly different, depending on the pattern of wear in your joint, position of nerve endings etc.

Hopefully the exercises Peter has suggested will help you, but some of the tips in this link can be really useful too.