Hip osteoarthritis and back pain

Hi all,

For many years I've had occasional debilitating lower back pain usually triggered by me twisting or bending, eg a simple move like twisting to get something from the car back seat. Typically this would happen about once a year, be really painful for three days and take maybe four weeks to fully resolve helped by gentle stretching exercises.

For the past six months I've been unable to walk more than ten minutes whereas I used to enjoy regular ten mile walks. I've been diagnosed as having severe osteoarthritis in my left hip and will be having a hip replacement operation in a few weeks time. I was told that my hip osteoarthritis was a problem that has been developing over many years.

Today I did a little DIY and my back is now really painful. Is it possible that my back is suffering from pain referred from the hip osteoarthritis? Is it possible that the hip replacement operation will help my back problems? Anyone else had or know someone with similar problems?

One new problem is that the exercises I used to do for my back are not really possible now my mobility is restricted due to the hip osteoarthritis.

The report on my hip x-ray says "the sacroiliac joints appear within normal limits."

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

It’s more likely that the deterioration in your hip has been affecting your posture. I noticed with mine that I had reduced rotation in my torso (eg, like you, turning to look over my shoulder in the car) as this pulled on my hip joint, so you may have been turning from the waist more, which uses different muscles and places more twist in the spine than if you’re rotating from the hip.. It’s only when bits of you don’t work properly that you realise how things are interconnected. But I haven’t experienced, or heard it reported ny others, that OA in hips causes referred pain in the spine.

Alternatively, it could just be coincidence that your back is playing up at the same time as your hip, have you had it assessed by a physio?

• Hi RogerBill,

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum, I am sorry to hear your condition is causing you so much pain. 

If a person has a problem with their hips, it can cause referred pain which can affect the groin, down the front of the leg and in the knee. Sometimes knee pain is the only sign of a hip problem – this is called referred pain or radiated pain and is common. You may feel pain on the outside of your hip or in your buttock – though this can also be caused by problems with your lower back.

With all forms of arthritis, it is important to manage the condition, and as Lilymary has said possibly a referral to see a physiotherapist could help with some structured stretching and strengthening exercises, that could help you with you back also.

Alternatively, if you like going into the pool you could try Hydrotherapy, which is exercising in warm water, this can help get muscles and joints working better and, because the water is warmer than in a normal swimming pool, it can be very soothing and relaxing. Hydrotherapy is sometimes called aquatic therapy.

I am pleased to hear that you will soon be able to have a hip replacement Rogerbill I really hope it all goes well for you and that you have a speedy recovery.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Choosey
    Choosey Member Posts: 3

From my experience my hip, groin and upper thigh pain was originating from my lumbar spine and 2 protruding discs plus I have been told I have mild stenosis, narrowing of the spinal canal (all age related). An MRI on my pelvis showed I had age related osteoarthritis in my right hip, mild bursitis and tendinitis. After lots of physio and acupuncture with no results I have finally had quite a good response with treatment from a chiropractor who has now given me a couple of exercises to stretch muscles as well. I intend to continue having this treatment. Perhaps not for everyone but it seems to be working for me.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Thank you all for your comments.

I've just found https://www.horderhealthcare.co.uk/news-healthy-living/did-you-know-that-lower-back-pain-can-be-caused-by-hip-joint-osteoarthritis/ which includes the following points:

* Research suggest the incidence of lower back pain accompanying hip arthritis is in the range of 20-40% of cases

* Reduction in flexibility at the hip impacts surrounding muscle tissue.

* When turning the ball and socket joint of he hip will contribute only little towards the turn. Often unknown to the individual, the lumbar spine and knees will over contribute and experience additional torsion.

* When bending forwards the hinging motion of the hip is limited or poorly controlled. The effect of shortening or tightness in muscles over the front of the hip can cause compression of structures such as inter-vertebral discs of the spine, and neighbouring nerves.

I can relate my back pain to these points. I'm now also experiencing some pain in my abdominalal muscles which I think might be either related to the hip OA or me overdoing some pre-replacement hip operation exercises.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

interesting stuff, thanks Rogerbill. I was lucky in that my back wasn’t affected, I give it a regular punishing and it rarely retaliates. But my surgeon did mention shortening of muscles in the front of the hip is a common result of OA in that joint, which is one of my main sources of pain when I overdo it now, post op. I suspect if my back wasn’t quite so resilient it may have been affected by this.

• LizB12
    LizB12 Member Posts: 38

Thanks so much for this information Rogerbill. I too can relate to it as it explains a little of my lower back pain after a diagnosis of OA in my hips. The physio told me that these areas are all related which has led to inflammation in my sacroiliac joints and sciatica. She told me that it’s important to manage my pain so that I sleep better, which will help.

• Dolly64
    Dolly64 Member Posts: 2

Hi, I also suffer with lower back pain. I'm waiting for a THR at the moment but my mobility is very limited due to hip pain and back discomfort.

I'm finding the pain unbearable some day's but continue to try and do all I can like housework shopping etc. I'm a little worried at the moment because my partner is having a TNR on Tuesday 28th.

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 24. Sep 2021, 19:31

Hi @Dolly64

Welcome to the online community so good to see you posting.

You say that you suffer from lower back pain and waiting for THR so your mobility is very limited due to the hip pain and back discomfort. You are also worried at the moment as your partner is having a TNR on Tuesday 28th.

Hope these links help in some way.Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on,Do chat to others on the forum it often helps when you are worried and concerned to get points of view from someone else.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• I too am waiting for a hip replacement. I experience lower back pain, groin, buttock and knee pain. I was told by the physiotherapist that the knee pain is referred from the hip. I can’t manage to walk very far nowadays but try to do as much as I can when I can. Some days are really difficult though with the pain so,I do sympathise with anyone who is going through this.

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

Hi @Pollyanna321 @Dolly64 and @LizB12 I had my total hip replacement operation 12 days ago (further details in the "hello" section of this forum). It's too early to say whether the op has improved my back and knee pains but early signs are encouraging. The arthritis pains are gone but as I'm in the early stages of recovery unsurprisingly I've other pains which are different (seem more muscular as you'd expect). But although there are ups and downs the general trend is that my pain and mobility is improving which certainly is a better outlook than before my op. Also I'm now generally down to just two or three ibuprofen or paracetamol per day. I am investing time and effort into exercises and gradually building up walking as I'm a firm believer in this being something that the op can only do so much and then, with luck, it's largely up to the patient to work at ensuring a good recovery.

• miggyb_96
    miggyb_96 Member Posts: 1
    edited 27. Feb 2023, 12:31

Hello guys, I've also been experiencing back pain and joint wrist pain lately since I'm traveling cross country using my motorcycle. I'm thinking of buying medicine to relieve the pain. This website - [xxx]says that their medicine can cure joint and back pain. Should I give it a try? Any suggestions?

Sorry, product and vendor removed as not allowed in Community Guidelines, Peter (Moderator)

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hi @miggyb_96 sorry had to amend your post but if you are looking for cream to help you can get Capsaicin cream on prescription which helps

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi @miggyb_96

Thank you for your posting. I see that you are experiencing back pain and joint wrist pain since you are travelling across the country on your motorcycle. I see that Peter has suggested Capsaicin cream that you could try for your pain. I have also put below links to our information on managing back pain and hand and wrist pain that may have ideas that could help you manage these conditions as well as when it might be a good idea on when to see a doctor.

I hope that this is helpful to you.

Back Pain

Hand and Wrist Pain

Kind Regards

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• rosie159
    rosie159 Member Posts: 34

Hi Im with you riding a motorbike...I get seized thumbs and sore wrists after a while. I use Piroxicam gel...painrelieving anti inflam and soft sponge splints in my bike goves..helps too. along with heated grips...wouldnt be without them! as far as hips and back goes...lots of twistys instead of straight roads and stop evry hr and a half for a stretch. Happy Riding!