Total knee replacement

Ellie13
Ellie13 Member Posts: 4
edited 3. Aug 2021, 08:43 in My Triumphs

Hi everyone, I can’t seem to find my post from a few weeks ago when I was very concerned about my post op assessment due to my weight. I received some very kind replies so thank you for that. It all went well, I wasn’t refused the knee surgery but I was informed that on the day of my op the anaesthetist may refuse to anaethetise me!!!! How comforting to know that!! 🙄

Anyway I’m here to say I had my knee replacement last Wednesday yaay and was safely home by Wednesday evening. I had a GA with no issues thank goodness. The physios saw me a few hrs post surgery and got me up and walking with crutches. I’m just so pleased so far with the progress and level of pain. I’m off the heavy duty painkillers and just take Paracetamol, Codeine and Ibuprofen although I’ve stopped that one due to heartburn. So I’m now day 4 post op. I’m due to be reviewed by the team tomorrow, they’ll redo my dressings and I’ll work on bending my knee some more. I’m up and about walking with crutches, pain is bearable so far and painkillers help so I’m grateful for that. I’ve been doing stairs too, both up and down but very carefully using my crutches and the info sheet my physio gave me about which leg to move first etc. I’d like to say a huge thank you the the Nuffield Surgical and day admissions teams for all the care and support they’ve given me. What an amazing team they are. 🤗

Comments

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

well done!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Congratulations! I can’t remember if this is your first new knee, but sister (who has two) said you need to work hard at the physio to get max flexion in your knee. She’s an aerobics teacher and keen gardener, and was even back out fell walking and horse riding post op. It can be done.

keep up the good work, you're doing really well so far!

• pam33
    pam33 Member Posts: 6

Lovely news to hear that you are doing so well after surgery xx

• TraceyS
    TraceyS Member Posts: 9

Wow, well done. You were operated and discharged all on the same day? Is that usual for knee replacement? I'm booked in for THR in October. I know quite a bit about the hip surgery but not the knee, and with THR hospital stay is often 2-3 days. Sounds like you are making a really good recovery.

• suelema
    suelema Member Posts: 14

Great, I am so glad you are recovering well and so quickly. It gives me hope when I have mine in a few months.x

• Richard61
    Richard61 Member Posts: 2

I had a total knee op about 10 years ok at the time I was 51 so young as far as they where concerned for the longevity of my knee but I have to say the best thing that had happened, I found the best way to make my new knee strong was up and down the stairs stopped if it started to hurt and then after just 3 weeks I was off crutches and when I went back to see physio she told me off but after she measured the movement of my knee said fine your free to go so slowly slowly and you will get there x

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Richard61 and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have had a successful knee op (good to hear) and that you have had RA for a number of years. Yes sometimes we have to take rehabilitation slowly. Have a look at our website as it contains a lot of useful information which may be of interest, to help I've put a couple of links in below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure others will share their support and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm