Osteoarthritis

Lana
Lana Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I’m new here going for full knee replacement in a couple of weeks any advice for post op pain would be appreciated thank you

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @Lana firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you are going in for a knee replacement in a couple of weeks and after any advice particularly related to post op pain.

The site is full of information and conversations, with this subject having a lot of content from others already available, as such see below a link to an information leaflet about knee replacements that may help you, and also surgery hints and tips.

Please feel free to search the forum for others with similar experiences and I am sure that some of our community will be able to help offer some useful suggestions.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks

Joe

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Lana

This thread should definitely be of interest to you:

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Hobbo
    Hobbo Member Posts: 3

Hi Lana I had a knee replacement end of october 1 make sure you take the pain killers about 20 minutes before you do the intensive phisio

2 religiously do the phisio given. I even had a tally sheet to make sure I did all exercises 3 times a day

3 The hospital I was in gave me a knee cryocuff to help reduce swelling I religiously used it and still do if I have had a busy day. I even bought the ice bucket to go with it.

4 get home organised to make sure you can sort yourself out with a little support.

• suelema
    suelema Member Posts: 14

Hi Lana, have a look at my posts as I am also due for a knee replacement within a couple of months and researched thoroughly. Hope yours goes well! Do share your experiences after please. X

• Hi Lana

I also recently underwent TKR for my knee after struggling with Osteoarthritis for years. The other pointers mentioned on here are great, supports, icing, resting and protecting the knee are important for recovery and perseverance and mindfulness have been my saving grace during my rehab.

Someone mentioned the cryocuff, I used this too - I believe the brand is Aircast although I'm sure you there are similar products out there. I personally used it a lot but also found that ice packs were equally effective

Painkillers, as has already been mentioned, are definitely a must for rehab but I found wearing a support after intense rehab or around the same time helped take some weight off the knee post-op.

A knee brace is definitely a good option post-op but if you want something that let's you get a round a bit easier without feeling like Robocop then a knee sleeve like the one below is also a good idea. They usually have medical compression as well which helps with any swelling

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 668

Hi @Avaricious5,

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

I see that you've got involved in an existing discussion with some useful advice straight away, which is great.

On Living with arthritis we have posts from many members who live with arthritis, I'm sure you will be able to find some other discussions you may wish to join in on or, if not, start a new one. 

I hope you find having joined the forum beneficial.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Sunshine_1
    Sunshine_1 Member Posts: 1

Hello,

I am new here. I am waiting to go for a second TKR. It is 3 years since my first op. It is interesting to see how other people are preparing for their TKR. I remember you must keep doing the exercises 3 times a day.

I look forward to hearing from others on this forum.