Waiting time for surgery

Options

W I am on the waiting list for a hip replacement, just wondering how long I might have to wait- is it really “how long is a piece of string?” I just want to be able to mentally prepare myself .

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 796
    Options

Hi @LauraB

I have made comments and welcomed you on your waiting times blog

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi @LauraB

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum. I’m pleased you are on the waiting list for your hip replacement surgery now, but I appreciate how difficult it is not knowing how long your wait will be. The uncomfortable fact about delays to treatment is that these create uncertainty which can lead to further worry.

Thank you to Christine for answering your post here and on your ‘Say hello’ thread. I hope you find the information and support from Christine and other forum users helpful.

As you may know, we’ve been have been calling for more support for people like you who are waiting for joint replacement surgery. In July we handed our Impossible to Ignore petition to all UK governments. Hopefully this will influence how services are organised locally.

Your GP, Primary Care Network or local Healthwatch team, may be able to tell you how long you can expect to wait in your area. I’m not sure if this is where you found the waiting times of 66 - 69 weeks you mention on the other thread.

Orthopaedic surgeons have been stressing the importance of 'pre-hab for those awaiting surgery'. This term refers to the kinds of movements and exercise which can help you retain muscle and hold off developing muscle weakness. Studies show that surgery is more successful in people who have been able to do this.

You may be pleased to know that in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Joint School app was developed. This is a free service which provides remote support and information for people waiting for joint replacements. The app includes blogs, videos and other resources to help you manage your symptoms and look after your wellbeing. You can find out more about it, and our Impossible to Ignore campaign, here:

You are very welcome to call us on our freephone helpline: 0800 5200 520 so you can talk things through with one of our helpline team. You are not alone and there are other things we can suggest that may help you get through this difficult period.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Mags

Helpline Team