Osteoarthritis

Steve065
Steve065 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi my name is Steve and I have had osteoarthritis in my right knee now for the last 6 years. Not long ago I got diagnosed with ACJ Osteoarthritis and osteophyte in my left shoulder after suffering from severe frozen shoulder in my left shoulder and had an operation done on it back in 2019.

It flared up massively one night in April 2021 and after calling 999 the parademic gave me lots and lots of and lots of Entenox and told to contact my doctors in the morning. The parademic thought it was caused a week earlier when I had to go into hospital for a colonoscopy examination done under a general anaesthetic. Spoke to my doctor and she said that I should go straight to A&E which I did and that is when I found out.

Been having physiotherapy and not really worked and now been referred to the CAT team and now just waiting to hear back from them for an appointment. That was nearly 2 weeks ago and heard nothing. If I don't hear from them by the end of the week I am going to phone them up.

Worse thing for me is I am left handed so doing anything like shopping is extremely difficult.

Tagged:

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Steve065

I can see from your post that you are having a nasty flare up of your Acromioclavicular joint (ACJ) it sounds extremely painful.

I am going to add a couple of links one on shoulder pain which may be of interest and one on ACJ specifically (NHS Forth Valley). I expect you already know most of the content of the second link, but it might be of interest to others who don't know what the Acromioclavicular joint is. Do have a look at the first links specifically the section entitled 'reduce the strain'

I hope some of our members might have some tips to share with you. You are probably wise to chase up the appointment with the CAT team, these days we often need to chase up referrals.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• JC1978
    JC1978 Member Posts: 21

Hi Steve,

You’re not alone. Shoulder pain can be really difficult. I have pain in my right shoulder and I’m not able to straighten my left elbow so I hear you when you say shopping is difficult.

I tend to do most of my food shops online now and if you tell the drivers you have arthritis they will take the shopping into your kitchen for you.

I know it can be annoying that the fruit and veggies might not be as fresh or the size you would pick yourself, I used to get most of the shop online and just go into the shop for the fresh stuff. But to be honest I don’t bother now because most of the time the pickers are really good and send nice fresh things anyway.

I hope you get your appointment soon. I know it can be difficult waiting. Our NHS is marvellous and I don’t know what I’d do without them but they are really stretched at the moment.

All the best,

Jenny

• Anne16
    Anne16 Member Posts: 14

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulties. I hurt my should when I fell a couple of years ago and have steroid injections, but they don't always work!!

Re Shopping - I have a delivery saver with Tesco and have a delivery every 5 or 6 days. The drivers are excellent and will bring the trays into the kitchen for us and often help unload. I have found that to be a God send and cannot recommend online shopping too highly.

I have waited for over 6 months for an appointment with a physio and my husband has not seen a podiatrist for nearly 2 years. I do hope you get seen soon. Kind regards and best of luck. 🌺