First appointment for steroid injection

Jewels
Jewels Member Posts: 202
edited 7. Sep 2021, 08:53 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone. I've just got my appointment for a steroid injection in my hip it's the 30th September. I have to self isolate for 3 days beforehand I'm just really nervous because don't know what to expect any info would be appreciated thanks all 😁

Β«1

Comments

• Emma126
    Emma126 Member Posts: 15

Hi Jewels,

I recently had a steroid injection in my knee. The doctor was brilliant. He removed some fluid and then injected the steroid. I would describe it as uncomfortable rather than painful. It has benefited me for a month now. You should not be worried!

All the best,

Emma.

• Jewels

Thanks Emma I'll keep you posted 😁

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 6. Sep 2021, 22:40

I had the steroid injection in my hip about a year ago. The surgeon met with me before he started and finalised some details, then took me to a treatment room /theatre where a local anaesthetic injection was administered to my groin. It was a bit uncomfortable but I wouldn’t call it painful. Somehow (can’t remember how) they were xraying the joint simultaneously so the surgeon could tell that he was injecting the right part of the joint through the groin. Again, it was uncomfortable rather than painful, (and quite interesting watching it happen on the screen in real time!) - you could feel the pressure of the needle going in, but no actual stabbing-type pains. The whole thing in theatre took no more than 5-10 minutes from memory, the actual injection was a matter of seconds (a lot of the extra time was β€œadmin” with the theatre staff going through routine admin checks at every stage to make sure it was the right patient, right drugs and correct hip). Apart from removing my trousers, there was no need to undress.

The procedure will probably vary with different hospitals / surgeons, but the basics are probably similar. One thing I’ve learnt from hearing other peoples experience ofTHR is that while the end result of fitting the new joint is the same, there are many variations on a theme in getting there.

I hope this helps. I found it to be a much quicker procedure than I was expecting, and not much worse than going to the dentist.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Best of luck @Jewels

The main thing with your steroid injection is to rest as long as possible afterwards to keep the steroid in thea area it needs to be so it can do it's job. They will tell you how long, but it will be at least 24 hours.

Hi @Christian78 good luck with yours too in October.

• Jewels

Aww thanks everyone for the support I will rest up for 24 hours can't wait to be pain free for a while I'll let you all know how it goes xxπŸ˜πŸ‘

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi @Jewels

I had a steroid injection and like @Lilymary said it’s more uncomfortable than painful but it certainly helped with the pain, try not to worry and thank you for your support and lovely words over my recent trauma

sending love and gentle hugs πŸ’πŸ’πŸ˜Š

• Jewels

Hi all @Christian78 @Jona @Lilymary @frogmorton @Emma126 I am now back at home resting but it all went great. the nurses were all really nice and the ones in the theatre had a laugh and joke with me I had a little walk from the ward and wow it felt so weird being able to put weight on my leg and walk better it's a bit sore now but that's to be expected with having a great big needle jabbed into me lool but apart from that I feel great thanks everyone πŸ‘πŸ˜ xx

• Jewels

Wow you get yourself ready for it as well don't you and then for it to be moved is a proper bummer is your pain managble at the moment hope so I've been shopping today I still have my limp cos my leg isn't as strong as it was but it's just nice not to be in pain hope ur doing OK 😁

• frogmorton

Brilliant news @Jewels I am so pleased you have less pain😊

@Christian78 I am so sorry your appointment got moved you don't deserve that.

• Jewels

Thanks @frogmorton can I just ask if you can feel nausia after having a steroid injection today I feel a bit sickly and don't know where its come from thanks

• Jona

Hi @Jewels

Im so happy for you glad your getting some relief from your pain, I usually feel sick after something I’ve hyped myself up for turns out not to be as bad you take care πŸ’πŸ’πŸ˜Š

• frogmorton

@Jewels I hope you feel less sickly today? I think I get the shakes and yes do feel a bit queasy but suspect it's as Jona says just me getting worked up.

I hope you feel better today

• Jewels

Thanks @Jona and @frogmorton yes I do feel better and I've just been and had my flu vaccine still getting used to walking lol you don't realise how different you feel just being able to walk with no pain I love it 🀣

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @Jewels , so pleased you've got some relief from the injection. I hope it lasts a good long while for you - anything to stave off being in pain and delaying surgery. LM x

• Jewels

Hi @Lilymary thanks but to be honest my hip is starting to ache its not as bad when walking still using my crutch today but it's aching even when sitting down could it be the steroid not working or could it be because of the procedure really don't know but I'm not going to push it to much any words of wisdom greatly appreciated x

• Jewels

It's helped with the pain in my hip but I've got bad pain in my groin and feel a bit off so I have to go to the hospital tomorrow and they're going to do blood tests incase it's got infected typical ay ill know more tomorrow hope you're doing OK @christian78

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 7. Oct 2021, 13:19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jona

Hi @Jewels ,

im sorry to hear your going through possible infection blimey your having a tough time just know we’re thinking of you πŸ’πŸ’πŸ˜Š