How to manage my OA of hip

LizB12
LizB12 Member Posts: 38
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone

I was diagnosed with Osteoarthritis of my right hip a few months ago but still finding it exasperating. I am struggling with managing the pain and finding it difficult to get back to any walks again. At the moment I wake up with painful hips which is horrendous when I get up at first. I can’t get a good night’s sleep. I don’t find doctors’ telephone conversations helpful, handing out pain killers and only giving brief advice, so I am hoping to find some help on this forum. The Versus Arthritis website is brilliant and I have done one session of Let’s Move with Leon, which is promising for the future.

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @LizB12 and welcome to the Online Community.

I understand you have a recent diagnosis of osteoarthritis and are really struggling with managing the pain. I really sympathise as someone who wakes each morning with really stiff muscles and back pain and things only starting to function after an hour of creaking around the kitchen.

The web site is really good for useful information. Have you seen the section we have on Osteoarthritis of the Hip?

It has some good suggestions on pain management, sleep problems and also there are exercises especially to help with hip pain:

Do join in across the community, ask questions, give support and call in for a chat and say how you are getting on. You will be most welcome.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• LizB12

Thank you Brynmor. I shall look at that section and for exercises for hips

Liz

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @LizB12 , I'm sorry to hear your hip is making your life such a struggle. I can completely relate. I've had my new hip now, but waking up in pain was a daily event. I used to motivate myself to get up on the basis that it meant I could get some more pain killers. I went from being a keen fell walker to only being able to shuffle round the supermarket, in awful pain.

I won't sugar coat it, it is a tough road, but this fantastic forum, and support of family and friends, got me through it (and still are - it's been a slow recovery in my case). Lockdown did at least give me an excuse to do a lot less work (my job can be very physical), so I must have been one of the very few who was actually grateful for some aspects of the pandemic.

The hip exercises Brynmor has suggested will be more helpful for your hip, but do keep doing Leon's sessions as well, as it's easy for the whole body to tense up when you're in pain, and keeping the rest of you fluid will really help. And it cheers you up, which is also part of the battle. It may also be worth seeing a good physio, as they can tailor an exercise regime that works for your level of hip damage. I find if you go privately, you can have as many sessions as you feel you need, the waiting list is short, and it's not as expensive as you might think. Most are also seeing people face to face now.

I found this link really helpful - you'll need more than pain killers to get through this. Distraction is a great tool - taking your focus away from pain will help it fade into the background.

Have you been referred by your GP for xrays, MSK consultant or rheumatologist yet? Given how badly it's affecting you, this should be your next step.

• LizB12

Thank you for your reply and advice Lilymary. I had a phone consultation with my doctor this morning because I had sciatica symptoms on Saturday and couldn’t get out of bed till my painkillers kicked in. He told me that this problem is with my back - lumbar region and has given me a better regime for painkillers, 2 paracetamols and 1 codeine 3 times a day with 2 codeine at night to help me sleep better. A physio is ringing me on Wednesday to discuss exercises. At last I am getting somewhere and don’t feel so alone, especially now with this forum. I look forward to doing more of Leon’s videos. He does make it fun, especially with his Mum taking part too

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi @LizB12 , I'm glad you're starting to get your sciatica sorted out and hope you have that under better control soon. I suffer from this as well as the OA in my hips, but it's not as bad as you're going through. It would be worth having a chat with the physio about your hip while you're there. Have you had it xrayed yet? It's surprising how much damage can be lurking there without you realising. By the time mine kicked off and we had it xrayed it was already at the stage of needing replacing. The pain you describe does sound like the OA may be part of the problem.

• LizB12

Hi @Lilymary, I had my hip X rayed just over 2 months ago. I had a fall in December and thought I had strained my thigh. When it was slow to heal I eventually was seen by a health practitioner who mentioned arthritis. The X ray diagnosis was such a shock. It showed a narrowing of the spaces, some osteophytic lipping and early/mild degenerative changes. I have heard though that an X ray doesn’t always reflect the pain felt. I am looking forward to what the physio says on Wednesday and to hopefully have an exercise plan relative to my problems. It is difficult to adjust to the changes in my life because of arthritis. It’s a good thing that I have a kind understanding husband 😊. I do miss being able to go for a decent walk. Exercises will have to do

• Whiskey26
    Whiskey26 Member Posts: 88

Hi @LizB12 I too have OA in both hips (right slightly worse than left) and I understand your frustration with it. I was diagnosed back in October 2020. I had no symptoms,other than what I thought was sciatica and a slight wobble from side to side when I walked. It was only when sent for x-rays I found out the real cause. I cried a lot and sometimes still do, but it changes nothing. Once you accept things aren't going to change, you can adapt and move forward. I now walk with a stick and can only go short distances before I'm in pain and have to stop. Frustrating, because walking was one of my hobbies, but I can still walk, so I tend to look at it that way. Another of my hobbies is gardening and again, I can't do it like I used to, but I still can do it with some minor adaptations. I have really bad referred pain in my knee and so I've been referred back to physio and I'm hoping they can give me some exercises to help the pain, as I can't weight bear on my right side at all. What I'm trying to say is, you aren't alone, I understand fully how you feel and people on here are all in the same boat and I've found them all very kind and supportive.

• LizB12

Hi@Whiskey26 Thank you for your sympathetic comments. It means a lot. It’s taking a while to adjust to the diagnosis but I am feeling better after talking to a physio who explained what is happening. My back pain is due to inflammation in my sacroiliac joints and should settle in 6 - 8 weeks. So relieved. She told me that I was doing the right exercises to help and should get up every half an hour and move around. It’s hard to remember to do this. I managed to go for lunch with some relatives today and feel a little more normal. I took a cushion with me😊. You’re right when you say that you can at least walk, even though not for long. Baby steps. I hope your knee pain soon eases

• Whiskey26
    Whiskey26 Member Posts: 88

Hi @LizB12 I'm so sorry, I've just been scrolling back through my discussions on here and realised I never replied to you, after your reply to me! I do apologise. I can sympathise with your back pain, as I've had sacroiliitis since my youngest daughter was around two years old (she's 26 now). I hope it's settled down for you now and you're managing to cope with your arthritis?

• LizB12

That’s ok@Whiskey26. It’s easy to miss a comment. I feel much better. I remembered after talking to the physio that I had jolted in the bath and damaged my coccyx, which added to the sacroilliitis. It’s taken a few months’ healing but is much improved. I have much less pain in my back and hips now so only take paracetamol morning and evening. I have to keep up with the exercises or my pain and stiffness comes back with a vengeance! I have an MSK clinic appointment at the end of December (having being referred in June!) so hope to find out more then. I am just recovering from a mild case of shingles now, so hope to be better by Christmas. I hope next year is better as we all do.

I hope you’re coping ok with your restricted movement.