Disability

Hi I gave rheumatoid arthritis in both hands waiting for injections Also have osteoarthritis in hip and knee my work finished me due to being unfit for role when do you become classed as disabled

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

The definition is set out in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. It says you're disabled if: you have a physical or mental impairment, that impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947
    edited 8. Sep 2021, 12:07

Hello @Peonie and welcome to the online community.

You have had to leave work due to rheumatoid arthritis in your hands and osteoarthritis in your knee and hip and you are wondering when you can be classed as disabled.

There's quite a bit of information online about becoming recognised as disabled, and Citizen's Advice can help steer you through the process as it can seem quite complicated. You might like to look through the link below - it's a brief summary from Citizen's Advice and it's a good start:

There are also quite a few members of the online community who are knowledgeable about this area too, learned from their own experience. You could look through some of the other posts ( click on 'life with arthritis' then 'work and financial' ) and you might find some useful suggestions. Members may also have some other links and suggestions that they will share with you.

Do let us know how you are getting on.

Anna (mod) : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

There is no such thing as becoming Registered Disabled anymore. The Disabled Persons Register ceased to exist from December 1996 following the coming into force of the ​​Disability Discrimination Act 1995. There is currently no national register of people with disabilities. Some local authorities may operate voluntary registers in their areas which are used by local authorities to ​plan future services.

• Peonie
    Peonie Member Posts: 19

Thanks for info

• MoWW
    MoWW Member Posts: 74

Hello @Peonie , I am sorry to hear that you lost your job due to your condition. As someone who is living with a long term condition you may be protected under the Equality Act if as @Anna has advised. However it can be difficult to understand and assert your rights. If you disclosed your condition to your employer they have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to help you remain in work. Duty to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people - Citizens Advice

Information on living with a long term condition, Living with a Long-term Condition. Health management info | Patient

If you are now looking to find a job which better suits your condition you can get help through your local jobcentre, there may be a local employability provider who can work with you to improve your employability skills and work out what type of job you want to do, hours you can work and any adjustments through Access to Work. Get support in work if you have a disability or health condition (Access to Work) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Job search site Find a job - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) and Looking for work if you're disabled - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

You may wish to check out whether you can claim disability benefits if the impact of your condition has increased, Personal Independence Payment (PIP) - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) Also check out NRAS booklet on claiming PIP which is a disability benefit for people of working age. Personal Independence Payment | NRAS

I hope this information is of help, my contact details are within this link if you need further information. Working Well with Arthritis (versusarthritis.org)

kind regards

Maureen

• Peonie

Thanks very much have some benefits now sorry for the delay but haven’t been on here for a while

felt very low thanks

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Peonie,

Sending you hugs I’m sorry you’ve felt low I’m just watching pillow talk with Doris day it has a feel good effect on me there definitely needs to be more of those feel good films shown

take care keep your chin up

love Jona 😊💪🤗

• Peonie

Thanks Jona yer got anxiety have one mire blood test then should be put on it

Just hope it works x

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406

Hi Peoni,

I know it’s difficult but try to think positive once your on the right treatment I’m sure you will feel loads better stay strong because you might not think it but you are much much more than you know big hugs 💐💐💐💐💐

• Peonie

Hi thanks for that had last blood test so waiting now

Thus week I’m having an injections so hope that helps with the pain till the tablets kicks in xx

• Jules65
    Jules65 Member Posts: 7

@MoWW

i was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the spine and am currently in the middle of my first acute flare-up. I have been of work now for a few weeks and am worrying about my return to work. Thank you for all the info you have provided. This will be really useful.

• MoWW
    MoWW Member Posts: 74

Having a discussion with your employer about how your condition is affecting you and exploring what adjustments you think would help is a start. Your employer has a duty of care to ensure you work safely. If your work is aggravating your condition, it may be that a few adjustments to your tasks, some equipment etc might make a big difference. You can make a claim to Access to Work for an assessment where an assessor will discuss your work and condition and recommend some things. Your employer would purchase these and reclaim part of the cost - if you are starting a new job, applying within the first six weeks will mean your employer may get all the costs paid.

@MoWW