New hip but worried about allergic reaction

LizS
LizS Member Posts: 15
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I feel very fortunate in having been given my new hip four weeks ago. However at week three the wound started to flare up like a rash...very itchy. I went back and the surgeon said it wasn’t infected, but is an allergy to something. He suggested piriton...a week on, piriton isn’t working, the redness has spread and it’s very inflamed. There’s no pus, but a strange white covering on the edges...it’s slightly swollen and tender. The itching is really bad. I have another wound check today as I’m really worried about it. I wondered if anyone else has had such issues and how it was resolved. Btw, the hip itself is coming on nicely, no joint pain, muscles coming back to life. Thanks for any info...

Comments

• LizS

Update. My GP thinks I have cellulitis and has put me on antibiotics. I’m feeling pretty down in the dumps about it.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I can understand why you’re disappointed. When we have surgery, even though the docs warn us about possible complications, we don’t want to think it could happen to us. But it’s big surgery, having a new hip, there’s a lot of trauma to bone and to soft tissue of every variety. I had mine in April, but I’ve only just been able to ditch my walking stick, I had horrendous post op pain for 3 weeks, and my hip muscles felt like they’d switched off. They’re only just getting going again. The surgeon’s hand slipped and took a lump of flesh out by the incision that took 3 months to heal, although it didn’t get infected, but I still feel it tug every now and then.

sure, you’ll hear about people who were back on the dance floor in four weeks (I made that up, but you get the picture), I believed I would be pretty much back to normal in 6 weeks (🤣🤣🤣). But I reckon a huge number of people are putting up with various niggles and gripes, some minor, some big. I know of two women who had multiple dislocations to deal with. So cut yourself some slack, it’s very early days still. It’s ok to feel a bit traumatised yourself, to be honest. I had the odd cry from time to time, because while we’re glad we had it done, it wasn’t a nice experience. Your body has a lot to get over, it’s been pretty brutalised, and everyone’s body heals at its own pace. (Mine is going for the endurance record!) I’m sorry this has cropped up for you, but it’s good that the doc is onto it now, and I do hope you’ll be on the mend again soon. Get someone to give you a hug, have a big packet of choccie biscuits and a mug of tea, and tell yourself it will be ok eventually. Xx

• LizS

Awww thank you for your lovely reply, it’s actually just made me have a little sob. I live alone as my husband died suddenly two years ago and all this has made me miss my wing man so much. I’m trying to be upbeat and positive, but yes, it is all a bit brutal. Your words have been like a little hug themselves which I think I needed. I’ve lots of friends and family who are being lovely, but I think they’re so used to seeing my brave face they’ve no idea how crap I actually feel. Thanks for taking the time out to be so kind. I’m glad you have finally ditched the stick xxx

• LizS
    edited 18. Sep 2021, 08:27

Thanks for your lovely reply Lilymary, I am glad to hear you got your op and have finally ditched the stick. Yes, you’re right, it is a big trauma and I do expect too much of myself. Your kind words have actually made me sob a bit. Ive lots of friends who are being great, but I haven’t really let on how bad it’s been. I’m trying to put a brave face on it all but it really has been tough so far.

• LizS

Sorry for double reply, my first reply disappeared originally so I typed another lol

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Don't worry about the double reply. This site can get some getting used to, I think I've posted some blanks in the past!

I'm a "brave face" sort of person too, and I don't think my lovely husband realised how ghastly it had all been, how vulnerable I felt (a new feeling for me) and how much pain I was in. I burst into tears as soon as we left the hospital car park (I knew I would). When it's happening you get on with it, but in the quiet moments, you realise what an ordeal it's been. I'm really sorry to hear your "wing man" is no loinger with you, that must have made it harder for you to bear. Lean on your family and friends, that's what they're there for. It's your turn to be supported now. xx