Double hip replacement!

Options
NAOMI
NAOMI Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hi I have been told by my consultant that I would be better to have both hips replaced at the same time and quite frankly I am petrified. Anyone elses experiences would be helpful to know about,

thankyou

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @NAOMI - welcome to the online community!

I see you have been advised you may well have both of your hips replaced at the same time, and you're looking for information from anyone who may have had a similar situation.

While not exactly what you're looking for, Versus Arthritis do have some useful information on hip replacements here:

There's also a bunch of questions asked by people about hip and knee replacement here which may be useful:

I've also had a look around the community and I've found this previous discussion which might be of interest to you - it's from a while ago, but the information should still be helpful, I hope!: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/15751/double-hip-relacment

Do have a look around the community and join in any discussions which may be interesting to you - we always welcome a new perspective!

It's lovely to meet you!

Shell

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Some years ago @weejean had a double hip replacement which, I think, was very successful.

About a couple of years ago I joked with my own orthopaedic surgeon about my husband having both done together. He said they no longer did this. (His is an eminent teaching hospital.) I didn't ask why. Mr SW ended up with two new hips done about 14 months apart. Many years ago I had two TKRS done two months apart. No problems.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

I seem to remember someone else on this forum having both done at once recently. Having had an unusually challenging experience of having just one done, I wouldn’t relish having both done together. I’m not sure I would have coped, but that’s just me.

Talk it through carefully with your surgeon, and your family. Not all surgery goes entirely smoothly, and even minor complications in one or both could make recovery doubly challenging. You will need a good level of support at home (and understanding employers) if you go for both. Personally I was glad to have one functioning leg to do the hard work of the non-functioning one, but in my case it was still a functioning hip without pain. In your case it might be a tough call deciding which to do first.

On the other hand, there’s a lot to be said for getting it over and done with in one go, ie only recovering from one bout of surgery, rather than waiting months to go through it all again, and the difficulties of living with one very new hip supported by a very painful one.

• LizS
    LizS Member Posts: 15
    Options

A difficult choice....I’m five weeks in and don’t know how I would have coped if I didn’t have one good leg. Saying that I live alone so have had to do a lot for myself from day one. I’d say a lot depends on the extent of your support at home. Good luck.

• Dutch1
    Dutch1 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I had a new hip almost 3 month ago, the other is on the way out, I was told that years ago. I contacted the GP and he gave me painkillers. I am afraid it is going the same way of struggling for years until suddenly it is an urgency. What can I do, contact the ERAN nurses? But they are just for after the operation.