Hospital A&E

Jona
Jona Member Posts: 406
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:06 in Living with arthritis

Hello lovely people I just wanted to share with you my horrific trip to A&E I saw my doctor first who at the surgery asked if I had anyone to take me to hospital as I was very unwell as it would be hours before an ambulance would come my son took me I had to endure sitting in the most uncomfortable chairs for 8 hours I was in agony with the pain from my arthritis and the condition I had losing a lot of blood I was told 22 hours for a bed, the clinician couldn’t examine me as there was no cubicle available sent to wait in reception, receptionists were not at all helpful and the nurse asked if I was in pain I said a great deal she said oh dear just wait in reception till you are called although there’s a very large delay I’m sorry to say this but I was treated appallingly I saw the junior doctor at 9.00 pm I said I really just wanted to get out of here I needed intravenous fluids and antibiotics on arrival my doctor actually called them before I arrived but nonetheless nothing was done there was an old gentleman sat in a wheelchair with a drip and he had dementia he was desperate for the toilet a patient helped him no other staff helped disgusting he actually cried one nurse came to him he said I want to get out of here she spoke to him and said you can’t that was it

I told the doctor I saw I am ashamed that this is what care really is in Britain now a nurse overheard and said yeah oh dear yeah ?? I’m glad to say I left I was told I may need surgery I’m afraid if that’s the care you get I’d rather take my chances at home so with a very high dose of antibiotics and advised to drink plenty I was discharged one thing I noticed was when I went to reception I was asked why I was there I said the doctors surgery advised I attend as I may be bleeding internally she wrote on the letter self referral oh my god unbelievable

I have a lot of arthritis and been to hospital for pain related to it but I’m so appalled and disgusted I was made to feel like scum is this it now are we a third world country I’m not being dramatic and some people would say I should have stayed but my dignity and pride was taken out of my hands I honestly felt worthless and to top it all I couldn’t get the medication as the hospital pharmacy was closed I was told I could take it to any Lloyds to get it but that’s not true my gp the next day had to do a prescription how could I being so sick go back to the hospital which is quite far I was told if I got any worse to go back only if I was unconscious would I go there again ive been immobile now for 3 days no food but water and my spine is agony if it wasn’t for my son I would be in a hell of a mess

I’m sorry if I’ve gone on a bit but I’m so angry but that was the worse experience ever

take care everyone

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

What a shocking experience. Hospitals are under staffed and over stretched at the moment but that is no excuse, if I were you I would write a no holds barred letter to your MP as ultimately they control the purse strings. Hope you get better soon,

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

Hope you feel better soon hun 💐 and Mike's right x

• Jona

Thanks @Mike1 and @Jewels I appreciate your concerns I’m just in such shock i know they’ve had a tough time with the pandemic but I hoped it had not left them so de sensitised that they can’t treat a person like a human being there were 4 police officers and 4 security guards just going up and down the waiting area something like out of a terror scene I know I’m not special but when your ill, afraid and in pain what happened to humanity and call me paranoid but if they read fibromyalgia on your notes it’s the first thing they mention makes me very concerned when your there with a bleed ❤️

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

@Jona

You poor poor thing! I am so sorry this sounds just dreadful I am so sorry you have had such an awful experience. No-one should be treated like this. Your son was with you I hope?

Your story has made my stomach just drop😕 This is first hand information from someone i 'know'.

Are you going to pass this on to your MP or anything - when you feel better?

but above all GET WELL SOON ((()))

• Jona

thank you @frogmorton you people are really so lovely I have spoken to my mp and he said he had seen it first hand and would send me a link if I wanted to complain I assured him I don’t want to complain but I wanted to make him aware of what’s happening i seriously am very concerned.

My son was with me all the time bless him he wouldn’t leave my side I’m so grateful for him but feel guilty I’m taking his time I’m still in bed unable to eat anything but his care is second to none I’ve had a good cry but keep breaking out in tears feeling so hopeless I’m very low arthritis has stripped me of my confidence but this experience has left me feeling very vulnerable.

I had to share this with you all because I don’t want anyone to go through that. I did understand the security as there were a few drunks there and I’m grateful they keep us safe but felt sorry for people that get into that state

all my love and best wishes ❤️❤️💐

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

It's good to have a good cry now and then hun I've learnt that it's better out than in hopefully after a good night sleep you'll feel a bit better than today 😁 keep your chin up girl x

• frogmorton

@Jona

How kind are you to still feel for the people who are drunk and frightening instead of judging them. A lot would judge, but alcohol is an addictive substance and causes a lot of pain for families of those who are addicted. Terrible really.

Well done speaking to your MP I hope he or she plans to raise it higher up though.

I hope you feel a bit better soon and can get back to being our cheerful friend it's so upsetting hearing you are suffering like this.

A pat on the back to your boy for looking after you so very well. ((()))👏

• Jona

Thank you @frogmorton (Toni)

Your words help more than you know a little kindness and compassion goes a long way

It’s been a week and I’ve literally lived upstairs in my bedroom eaten very little and when I do it doesn’t stay in my stomach, my arthritis has never been so painful even the painkillers have no effect as I’ve been so immobile the smallest thing I do feels like I’ve run a marathon hats off to my son he’s working full time and his care is second to none.

I think because I’ve worked in the nhs for many years I noticed more but being on the other side has totally made me fear for my future my gp practice have been great though I actually phoned to thank them. It seems to be taking more time as I get older to bounce back but I will take that time now I will be writing to the authorities to bring awareness that people with arthritis should not have to sit in hard uncomfortable chairs for I mean it was 9 hours I did ask but I can’t ask people to move for me

I will be taking better care of me as I never want a repeat of that experience and thank you all for kindness

love to you 💐❤️

• frogmorton

@Jona bless you no need to thank me, but lovely all the same and thank you for the flowers!

Taking the time to thank your GP surgery will really lift them too they do deserve thanks and people rarely take the time.

It sounds as though you are really working on your recovery well with the help of your son even though he works full time!

When you are better you can say your piece, but for now rest up take care of yourself ((()))