Hydroxychloroquine

Options
Fergie
Fergie Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi Don’t know if I have got spelling correct I’d be interested in how anyone has got on taking this I have RA in hands and feet and hesitant to take it and have been trying all self help and supplements up until now. Years ago I was diagnosed with fybromyalgia now blood tests confirm RA , think I’m still in denial and think this flare up will go away on its own

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 8. Oct 2021, 15:51
    Options

Hi @Fergie

Welcome to the online community its great to see you posting.

You have RA in your hands and feet and have been trying self help and supplements and years ago you were diagnosed with fybromyalgia and now your blood tests has confirmed RA. We all when we first have arthritis go in denial but soon seek help,you dont say wether you have been referred to a Rheumatologists or not they would give you a Rheumatoid arthritis nurse you can talk to and help with medication to relieve the pain and symptoms.You would like to know how people got on with Hydroxychloroquine.

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/treatments/drugs/hydroxychloroquine/

Hope these links help you in some way.Please keep in touch and do chat on our forum everyone being friendly and helpful.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fergie
    Options

Thank you Christine Yes I’ve seen Rheumatologist who prescribed Hydroxychloroquine but I’ve had so many reactions to everyday medications like ibuprofen and penicillin and anaphylaxis I’m scared to take it. He did give me a nurse but I’m afraid to contact her and let them know I’m worse and keep hoping it’s just a flare up and will go as quick as it came Just thinking be positive but I’m sure I’m in denial as empathise with everyone posting I just wondered how others have benefited

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I wonder how much you know about RA. Have a read https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/rheumatoid-arthritis/

As you'll see, the flare might go but the RA won't and flares can result in permanent damage. That must sound harsh if you've had allergic reactions to meds before but I don't think hydroxy causes any. I've been on it for over 20 years along with methotrexate. No harm done at all and plenty of good.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fergie
    Options

Thank you its good to hear that you have been okay on it, it’s all the side effects on literature with meds that terrifies me . I was diagnosed 18 months ago but by time prescribed meds flare up had reduced intensity so I just continued with my self help but for past 6 months it’s back with a vengeance and mobility and everyday tasks becoming really difficult. I think just in denial and fear if meds but reality is sinking in now that can’t go on like this

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Hi @Fergie

Bless you Stickywicket says it so well. This flare may well die down, but the RA will still be there. Hydroxy is by far one of the safest DMARDs (Disease modifying anti-rheumatic drugs). When I first started it all I got was belly churning solved for me by taking half way through a meal.

When you give it a try let us know how it goes ((()))

• Fergie
    Options

Thank you frogmorton for help put my mind at rest I will contact my doctor and rheumatology nurse and consultant grateful for your response

• Davyboy7
    Davyboy7 Member Posts: 4
    Options

I have taken this for a couple of years now but I have stopped because it's now affecting my eyes lots of floaters i asked the optician and after tests agreed it was that drug

• Chappersj1
    Options

Hi there, I am a 62 year old woman I have arthritis but it’s still undecided if I got RA but I’ve been taking this for sometime but cannot say

thar it really helps me, the one thing I am sure of it upsets my stomach, so be careful.

Julie

• JaneM
    JaneM Member Posts: 5
    Options

Like you, I tried to manage with supplements and self help for just over a year after my RA diagnosis ( hands and feet too.) then I became worried about permanent damage to my joints so I started methotrexate. ( low dose) I was given hydroxychloroquine a year and had bad reactions to it and couldn’t see any benefits so stopped. I now continue to take lowest dose I can (12.5mg) of methotrexate weekly and manage my general health through a diet and supplements regime under the care of a complementary therapist ( who’s a former GP). My immune markers have stayed low ( although still above the higher end). I also do Pilates and swimming to keep moving. It feels like my health is as good as it can be. But I’m still hopeful about getting out of RA land!

• Choosey
    Choosey Member Posts: 3
    Options

I was prescribed Hydroxychloroquine a few years ago to take alongside Methotrexate as I was having a few RA flare ups. I was assured by Rheumatology that it was well tolerated by patients. I tried to take it over a period of 3 months but eventually I stopped as I never felt well on it despite varying the time of day I took it before or after food etc. I was then given a couple of depo steroid injections that gave relief each time for a few months. At the beginning of the year I was put on a Biologic which has been remarkable in getting my RA back under control. I inject this once every 2 weeks alongside Methotrexate. I only wish I had been prescribed a Biologic earlier.

• ADO
    ADO Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi, I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine (as a ‘low-level’ alternative to Methotrexate) just after diagnosis. Just after 3 months of taking it, my symptoms completely disappeared. They remained this way for 6 years.

After such a long period of stability, my rheumatologist agreed I could trial reducing the dose. 3 months later, symptoms returned and escalated. I am now on hydroxychloroquine and Sulfasalazine (with rheumatology pushing to add methotrexate). After 18mths, my symptoms are starting to stabilise.

I had no issues on hydroxychloroquine, but wanted to be on as few meds as possible. I regret trying to reduce it though, as I feel it triggered a flare, which may have long-term effects.

I’d go for it, because it was transformative for me!

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @ADO

Welcome to the online Community and thank you for your reply to @Fergie . It's very nice to see your first ever post is to help someone else 😊

I very much hope your disease is now back under control. 6 years stable is a long time you understandably tried to reduce your medication to as low a dose as possible.

Now that you have posted I hope you will deicide to join in elsewhere on the Foum.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Lepacja58
    Lepacja58 Member Posts: 2
    Options

My sister was on this drug for a long time and it helped her but no one told her to get her eyes tested while taking this. She now has permanent damage when she looks up it’s all dark so make sure you ask about eye tests and this drug they took her off it immediately and she now has to wait to see if time repairs some of the patches hopefully. Be careful.

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Lepacja58 and welcome to the community. We are friendly and supportive and I hope that you find that as well.

I understand that you are cautious of the side effects of the drug and that your sister has suffered as a result. Thank you for providing this information and warning, hopefully it will help others.

Our website has the following on this:

Please do keep posting and keep us up to date and I hope that others will connect with you.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm