Val's Cafe

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Morning gang. I found the new Hazelnut Wispa a bit too sweet for me, Sue took hers home to have dreckly. Vixen was in a funny old mood whilst the Home Help was doing her thing. She was curled up between my legs - Vixen NOT Sue - when Sue arrived and was quite happy while we had a brew and as soon as the vacuum came out she legged it outside - Vixen NOT Sue. I took the opportunity to do a bit of painting on my latest diorama when the vacuuming stopped, next thing I know a certain cat was rubbing her head into my legs, I asked her if she wanted cuddles and she immediately jumped up and resumed her position where she stayed until 6pm.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I'm sorry you have so many problems ((())) you never complain about any of them. I hope it will soon be a bit easer for you ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((())) I have banana and marmite sandwiches.

Barbara ((())) how many years have you been wearing glasses we've had ours since we were 7 years old never fancied contact lenses I would drop them. Have a good day ((())) love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé (((()))

Toni ((())) that's good your cold is going ((())) sorry Lucy Charley and Annie are not well ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi have a good day all of you ((())) there are strange people in the world don't worry (()))

love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) vixen and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 3,948

Hi Kathleen so sorry to hear about your lung disease it must be extremely difficult to deal with. That looks like a very sinful version of a toasted sandwich, but I’m sure it would taste amazing, lol, pity I’m rationing the chocolate do these days, lol. Hope Your day is going alright take care

• bosh

hi Barbara how you doing today? Yes it definitely is terrible when people turn on their own parents. I hope you enjoy the day take care.

• bosh

Hi Toni how are you? Yes I’ve just noticed that about my two posts thanks, maybe I was so tired I wasn’t quite fully concentrating could easily have been the case, lol. No it wasn’t actually a cream horn, it was smaller hat, it was something called a “cruffin “, mixture between a croissant and a muffin, clean I can sort of sweet croissant with a little bit of cream in the middle piece of chocolate flake bar on top. I have had cream horns in the past but it’s like with you , it would definitely qualify as a major sin now so something I strictly avoid, lol. Thanks about the cold good advice, it’s actually a little bit better today, my psoriasis and eczema tend to flareup when I have a bad cold, my skin feels as dry as a cheap croissant in fact, lol, but it’s feeling slightly better today so that’s great really good thanks. Yes Long lost friend son it’s definitely spoiled rotten by his mother, also not sure if I mention this but he is working so it’s not like he has no money coming in. She is well now and has been was for a while, but you’re right when she was not well she could’ve easily maybe become overly emotional about the whole situation and spoilt him for that reason to for that reason too. Also he’s a trans-person so was born female and his having hormone injections and all that kind of thing which is mum is emotionally supporting him through what kind of emotional support is he giving her? well I try to never interfere in other peoples families could be more fatal than a cream horn, lol, what also doesn’t help is that she and her husband are separated or possibly divorced it’s not clear, and ex / estranged husband is just not taking any responsibility whatsoever financial or otherwise. Porridge looks great by the way, only cereal I can have for breakfast that doesn’t upset my stomach and also keeps me full, I used to have Weetabix sometimes I quite enjoyed that, but sometimes even that upsets my horrendous stomach oh well could be worse, lol. Nice day Tony take care

• bosh

Hi J how are you today. Thats true I definitely lots of very odd people in this world thank you. I’ve also been wearing glasses since roughly 7 years old, I did try contacts once when I was at uni but I kept losing them and once I went to the optician and he said “ you’ve got them in the wrong eyes “ , and I said “ how can you tell?” and he said “one has R engraved on it”, but I couldn’t see it and I almost said “ well if I could see that well I wouldn’t have defective eyesight, I thank you! “ Haha. Contacts also made my eyes really dry I never tried them again. Hope you and Sue have a good day take care

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Nothing like a sister! mine gave me a ticking off yesterday. I added Beeston Rylands to my FaceBook as somewhere I used to live and she said "you don't live there now!" I added a picture of my then best friend Gail (we lived next door on Palmerston Street just before we moved to BR. Anita can be so cruel. 😥

Lovely picture of a water Vole Antoinette, they look a bit like rats which is where they get their nickname from, but the nose is rounder and not pointy like a rat. We used to have a stream alongside our house in LE and our cat would catch them and leave them for dead on our patio. A bit like Sleek did with her love gifts of little Voles.

AMeadow Vole, smaller than a water Vole.

Glad you enjoyed the nana, I fancy Reshmi's cream horn, yes we had 2 messages from you yesterday - super.

Peanut butter sandwich with egg.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Morning everyone!

Oh Mike that made me smile - I am very glad your home help was not snuggled up between your legs😆Vixen probably doesn't like hoovers, but it is just lovely that she snuggled with you as soon as Sue left until 6pm. I bet you were in need of a cuppa and trip to the loo by then though!🚾

Wispa too sweet even with a cuppa?! Wow! I hope Sue did eat hers when she got home dreckly. When my Cornish friend says dreckly it often means next week!!!

Hi Joan how are you and Sue doing? Did I tell you someone has brought COVID into the hospice?! Incredible isn't it? What kind of an idiot does that?🙄 ((())) xxx

Oh Reshmi that was funny. Skin like a cheap 🥐 croissant😁 Seriously I think that can happen when you are run down having a cold.

Oh I loved cream horns....off the menu now for definite sadly😔 cruffins sound rather nice

It's good that your friend is well now and actually that her son works get's him out of the house. There is someone in our family who is transitioning male to female and the hormones are making her feel dreadful. They will be female ones though. Mind maybe they gave your friend's son too much testosterone?🤔 Sounds as though she has it tough supporting him and getting no support financial or otherwise from her ex husband.

How are the family doing? Has Lord A been to entertain you lately and baby of course, but he isn't so entertaining yet is he?

Porridge is just so good for us isn't it?

Oh Dear poor Kitty! Ignore your sister telling you off! I spoke to mine but she didn't tell me off. You have every right to pop somewhere you used to live on and apic of your old friend! She's just being a bossy-boots.

Sleek is on her way to give you a pusskin hug🐱

By the way I used to live in Palmerston Rd in Essex when I were young!

Oh yes Sleek would probably have a go at catching water voles which is quite upsetting like Sleek and her meadow voles. Poor you seeing something so sweet hurt. Still it is nature. We have to accept it.

Love your picture too adorable.

Your lunch is full of protein. I bet everyone loved it. I can have it with some tofu scrambled eggs on top instead 😋

Sending love to Barbara hope your eyes aren't too bad today.

Also to Carol and family especially Miss Cookie.

naughty breakfast!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Morning Froggie. "Dreckly" has the same meaning as the Spanish "manana" but without the same sense of urgency so your Cornish friend has it bang on! 😁

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) how is your chest today I hope it feels a bit better. Love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Reshmi I hole you have a good day today. I didn't know contact lenses had a left and right on them yes you would need good sight to see that. Have a good day all of you.

Toni ((())) somebody did not care did they going into the hospice with the virus I hope nobody's caught it ((())) have a good day love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((()) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) animals can always make you laugh and they don't care what you look like. Have a good day love to vixen and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

I don't understand my eyes, it's bright as can be here but I can't see my keyboard. It's far too bright!

Joan, I've used my nebuliser this morning and jt has helped my chest a lot, thank you. Chris isn't very happy though, he has a sore throat because he's caught my cold!

Reshmi, perhaps your IBS is actually a wheat intolerance. Have you tried eating food that is Gluten free? I have digestive problems but I don't know if it's IBS or Gluten intolerance. Have you lookedked at the GUTS website? https://gutscharity.org.uk/

Mike,

that made me laugh.

Antoinette, it was pretty gruesome, opening the patio doors to find a couple of deceased Voles laid out! I used to pick them up by their tails and chuck them in the bin then walk away shuddering. And now my thoughts turn to FOOD. 🤢

The ultimate salad sandwich

Why is it the ultimate? It could have something to do with the generous fillings, pickled carrot and tahini-yoghurt dressing.

FEB 01, 2012 10:24AMBY EMMA KNOWLES & LISA FEATHERBY from Gourmet magazine

30 mins preparation30 mins cooking plus soaking, pickling, coolingServes 5

We've combined pickles, chickpeas and lots of fresh ingredients for the best salad sandwich ever. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.

INGREDIENTS

• 200 gm small dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 small garlic clove, finely grated
    • 10 slices thick soft light rye bread
    • 2 small radicchio, thinly sliced
    • 1 beetroot (about 500gm), cut into julienne on a mandolin
    • 1 small telegraph cucumber, seeds removed, cut into julienne on a mandolin
    • 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
    • ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced on a mandolin
    • 4 radishes, cut into julienne
    • 1 cup each flat-leaf parsley and mint, coarsely torn (loosely packed)

Pickled carrot

• 3 carrots, cut into julienne on a mandolin
    • 60 ml white wine vinegar (¼ cup)
    • 1 small red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
    • 1½ tbsp caster sugar

Tahini-yoghurt dressing

• 60 gm unhulled tahini (¼ cup)
    • 60 gm good-quality mayonnaise (¼ cup)
    • 60 gm Greek-style yoghurt (¼ cup)
    • 60 ml lemon juice (¼ cup)

METHOD

Main

• For pickled carrot, combine ingredients and 1½ tsp sea salt flakes in a bowl with 2 tbsp cold water and stir to combine. Set aside until carrot starts to soften and pickle (20 minutes), stir again, then refrigerate until required (best used within 2 days). Drain well before serving.2
    • Combine chickpeas in a large saucepan with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook until tender (20-30 minutes), then drain.3
    • Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and warm chickpeas in a bowl, season to taste, stir to combine, then set aside to cool completely.4
    • For tahini-yoghurt dressing, stir ingredients in a bowl to combine, season to taste.5

Spread tahini-yoghurt dressing over one side of bread slices. Top half the slices with radicchio, then pickled carrot, then chickpea mixture, then beetroot, cucumber, tomato, onion, radish and herbs, season to taste, sandwich with remaining bread slices and serve.

YUM YUM

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Afternoon all did I say our eldest son and his friend that us visiting frim Island have had covid now fir over a week they are both double jabbed but poorly.. so keep safe xx

Toni all is well here we tested negative thank goodness and out gd and fiancé have so far not easy living with dad..glad that cold has eased and all is well with everyone..xx

Mike I had a vision of your home help curled up between your legs 🤣 Vixen will be jealous xx

Joan I only started wearing glasses in my mid 60s always had good eyesight till I got macular ..so both if you have always worn them ..si has Mr B ..love to all of you xx

Reshmi how sad that your friends son is like ge is and getting so much support off mum ...hope your day is a goid one xx

Kath that's not nice off your sister..family's eh...🙄you don't take any chances with that chest xx

Sorry these are short but it something

Xxx x

Love
    Barbara
  • bosh

Ladies and Mike very late signing I know itsomehow became a busy day in the end. Hi Hope you’re well Kathleen. Hi Toni ,I think you are definitely right about colds and psoriasis (and eczema in my case). Ordered some relatively expensive hand gel online because the alcoholic one is really killing the skin on my hands, so I’m not going to use it anymore. Do you have psoriasis or eczema on your hands Toni? It’s so annoying I wear gloves a lot of the time when I go out there, leather gloves to keep me warm, but there is no getting away from hand skin disease in my case at least and stress doesn’t help us, but if stress could be fully avoided, then maybe would all be doctors, lol. The Cruffin was nice actually, thanks, didn’t know exactly what was what it was when I bought it actually it just seemed better than the high-fibre cake option because my stomach was not feeling 100%, it was definitely a good taste but I try and avoid pastry type stuff generally and religiously avoid cream, though little bits of buttercream and cakes are okay I find .Not exactly sure what’s happening with my friends son but you’re right very difficult situation with a lot of contributing factors most likely. All day and as little brother are doing okay thanks sorry just a bit shattered today really I know you told me not to apologise so much, but this is something I habitually do , but I’m trying to cut down on the “sorrys”, lol.I think the plan is that we’re all going to see them on Sunday and depending on my stomach, situation I may be eating fairly simple food and their house will be boiling and it will probably go on all day long but a little Lord A was asking for me bless him he said I need to see him otherwise I’ll be lonely I can’t argue with that, aww. Okay bye for now Toni have a nice day

• bosh

Hi Joan Hope you’re okay hope you and Sue are having a nice evening take care. Xx

• bosh

Hi Kathleen how are you? thanks had a quick look at the website yeah IBS is a big problem for a lot of people but I think it’s not wheat in my case, I eat wheat - based things all the time, doesn’t seem to affect me maybe partly time of the month is coming on as well (sorry if it’s offensive mentioning this )but anyway yeah, arthritis meds could be playing a part too, but thanks for thinking of me. Tc.xx

• bosh

Hi Barbara how are you yes it does seem a very sad and unnatural situation with my friend and friend and her son, sorry to hear about your eldest son and his friend, I hope they recover soon. My dad is going to this been Bengali social event thing that’s happening here in Reading for a few days he has lost all sense of right from wrong he’s hugging people he doesn’t know , he’s re - using mask, he’s storing millions of dirty masks in his trouser pockets, my mum and I have just given up on him now, it’s very frustrating when he knows how ill my mum can be if things go wrong, I’m so glad you tested negative you take care and keep yourself safe as well have a lovely evening

• frogmorton

Morning everyone!

Mike I will trust nothing you say you will do if you say you will do it 'dreckly'!My friend though (Joan and Barbara know who she is but i have visited her several times and she has been to mine too) used to use this forum. Skezier was her name. She lives in Luxulyan Nr Bodmin. She does everything dreckly😁

Kitty Chris was bound to catch your cold I bet he will be much worse than you😉 Seriously I am glad the neb helped a bit. Obviously the pol-tisez help more😺

I just spent far too long on your guts page! very interesting indeed....

It is pretty dreadful getting these leftovers from our cats. They like the top half but not from the belly down🤢the worst thing though is when they are still alive but you can't do anything to help.

That sandwich looks just amazing. Kari and I will have one each please if you have two spare?

Will Dad have his club today?

Barbara I do hope your son is feeling better very soon and of course the girls manage to stay safe. I am so very very very glad you are ok that really is so important with your kidneys you are extra vulnerable. ((())) for you all.

My bro and his wife were rough in spite of double jabbing it's just still such a risk

I have only worn glasses as I've got older for reading, but need to go back to have another test soon. Not so keen on getting that close to people really.

Don't worry if it's short as long as you are ok.

Reshmi Lord A is sweet really he knows you need him (really he wants to see you too!) it will be good to go over there easier to get away! If they come to you they can stay too long family🤭 Mind you it being too hot isn't nice - wear layers!

I get a kind of eczema pompholyx sometimes on my hands. Our Aidan used to get it too. No idea why except it's torture when it happens. If the hand gel helps please do let me know because the normal ones are so stingy😫

Of course you avoid naughty stuff in general but once in a while I do think it does us good to have a treat and the cruffin looks lovely. I can go vegan buttercream no problem actually. I've been on the gut site Kath mentioned it's really informative.

Don't feel bad about saying sorry it's in your nature and far better than being bad mannered. It's just you don't need to apologise we all understand here ((()))

Joan I know can you believe it? We have to do a test before we visit so they must have cheated somehow. The lady who got wsa in P's BAY!!!! She is ok though and the lady is also ok just in isolation. Some people😠 I hope you and Sue get out today to your cafe ((())) xxx

Healthy breakie today!

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

I hope you all have a good day I have a blood test this morning.

Kath ((())) that's good it's working love to Anita Val and Emily and your Dad ((()))

Barbara (((())) sorry about your son catching it. Love to Mr B and your son and Niamh and your brother and his girlfriend and your niece and her fiancé (((())))

Toni ((())) some people don't think. Love to Paul Charley and Annie and the carers and Lucy and Kari and Tia and P and your lovely neighbours ((()))Reshmi ((()))have a good day (((()))

love to Chris Carol Mike and Elliott and vixen ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    edited 15. Oct 2021, 08:57

Where’s me picture gone? There was a lovely pic of that sandwich, it fair made my mouth water - AND ITS GORN!

Reshmi, what’s offensive about periods? I finished with all that in my early 50s. But I’m still wearing pads, because I wee a lot. HEE HEE.

Antoinette, yes Guts UK is a mine of information. Guess what - my nebuliser isn’t working today! I think it’s worked too hard for one day.

Nutella Grilled Cheese Recipe FromEpicurious

Nutella Grilled Cheese Recipe

Though Nutella and cheese may be an unexpected pairing, when melted together into a sandwich it's ...

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp. Nutella
    • 4 slices white sandwich bread
    • 1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella cheese
    • 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, divided

• bosh

Everybody hi Toni, very sweet about Lord a, unfortunately the Sunday family visit thing is cancelled to because my dad has got a bad cold again I did have a little video call with LA today but he was busy watching cartoons so paid me the bear min of attention never mind, lol. A lot of stories about him, but to be honest if I went in to all of them I’ll probably be some writing War and peace, lol, so in almost bullet point style I’ll just mention today that he says that he only speaks to girls in the nursery not in the supermarket when he’s relaxing and going shopping with his dad or something like that anyway, oh dear I won’t mention that to his future wife, haha.hope you’re Okay today Toni? Yes, hand eczema / skin disease is this is terrible, I definitely agree, I use cuticura antibac sensitive hand gel, in my opinion it’s a really good hand gel and doesn’t upset my skin at all. Yes, some treats are definitely a good idea and to be honest I do have some treats, prob more than some on some days, still finding a bit hard to keep cope with the fatigue and that kind of thing, but anyway, nvm, unfortunately though is that pastry is definitely a big big issue when it comes to I digestion and my stomach, so I’m v careful, with it basically even though I do enjoy it so much. Nice Colourful breakfast there okay T have a good day nice to hear from you take care.

• bosh

Hi Joan, Hope you’re well? take care., hi K, how’s are you today? Well it’s not offensive to me but people seem to take offence at all kind of things so I like to try and be as PC as possible, lol. Nice Looking sandwich take care. Xx.

• bosh

Hi Barbara how are your eyes today? Oneof my eyes goes a bit red and irritated sometimes but I’ve got an opticians checkup fairly soon so that’s good anyway hope you have a nice day take care. Xx

• frogmorton

Joan I do hope your blood test went ok? I have to agree some people are so stupid bit at least P hasn't caught it👍 ((())) xxx

Kitty no no pic of the butty😕

Periods and wee are normal arent they? We just need to chill about bodily functions.

You broke your neb? Ooops! How is your chest anyway?

I spent 45 mins on guys site and have finally booked a Drs apt to talk about my belly as a result so thank you.

Reshmi bless Lord A! He likes the girls at school but not in public!! ! I adore him. What a shame your Dad has another cold and you cant see them at the weekend 😕😕

Video calls are good but not when you're watching cartoons 🤭

Cuticura thanks for that I will get me some. Doesn't matter if it costs a bit more rather that than setting your hands off.

Pastry is yum but not for the tum a poem for Saturday morning! I agree I think best as occasional treats.

Barbara I hope your eyes are rested today. Any news on your eldest and his friend? ((()))

We had a lovely day yesterday hope today is as good. I bet Vixen was out in it Mike? Any news on the lad?🤞 all is going well.

Its Saturday Aidan's breakfast

• Kitty

Morning all.

I'll start with my aches, pains and other complaints. Spine is throbbing, hips are really hurting, I' still sneezing for England, and talking of Gits - I've got the trots! Well would have if I could trot!

Reshmi, I'm glad that Cuticura helps your hand.

Barbara, I hope you have rested your eyes.

Joan, did you and Sue have a good day yesterday.

Antoinette, I think I must have eaten too many odd combinations of sandwiches. 🤢

Lets see what I can find,

Roast potato focaccia

from Olive magazine

Ingredients

• sea salt flakes 3 tsp
    • Belazu Early Harvest Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil 4 tbsp, plus extra for the bowl and tin
    • strong white bread flour 500g
    • fast-action dried yeast 7g
    • roast potatoes 250g, cold, roughly chopped (so you get lovely crispy bits)
    • rosemary 2 sprigs, cut into small sprigs
    • black pitted olives a small handful, drained and sliced

Method

• STEP 1
    • Dissolve 2 tsp of the salt in 300ml of warm water, then stir in the Belazu Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Put the flour and yeast in a large bowl, and mix in the water. Knead for a few minutes then tip out onto a worksurface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Put into an oiled bowl and cover. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
    • STEP 2
    • Oil a 30cm x 20cm roasting tin, and oil your hands. Tip the dough into the tray and spread out into the corners with your hands. Leave to rise again, covered, for 30 minutes.
    • STEP 3
    • Heat the oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. With oiled fingers, poke holes into the risen dough to create small pockets – press into the corners of the tin again, as it will be easier to shape now the gluten has relaxed. Gently press the potatoes into the dough, and press in the small rosemary sprigs and olives. Drizzle with more oil and scatter over the remaining salt. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the bread is golden and crisp, and the potatoes are crunchy. Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool, or to a board and serve warm with more olive oil mixed with a dash of balsamic vinegar. It’s best eaten on the day, or the following day, refreshed in a low oven just before serving.

• bosh

Is there Toni how are you? Like that little pastry poem, nice one! I remember When I was really overweight due to mental health mads I couldn’t even eat one chip you know, it was difficult, apart from the obvious weight issue, my stomach was really really sensitive too much fried things etc really upset my tum. Thanks about my dad. When you go shopping etc You could try wearing latex free vinyl gloves, it’s really helpful cuts down on the sanitising keeps germs away at least that’s my perception. Have a nice day Toni xx.