Just diagnosed

Options
WESTHAM
WESTHAM Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi I hv just been diagnosed & today is the first time I will be taking methotrexate, I'm so worried about all the side effects listed!

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Welcome @WESTHAM to the online community.

You have just been diagnosed and are worried about taking methotrexate. Firstly don't panic, the GP and Rheumatology team should keep you closely monitored with frequent blood tests to assess how the methotrexate is affecting you. The blood tests check on your disease levels, blood count, kidney and liver function, these along with your account of how you feel will give them a good idea if the drug is the best one for you. If it is not, then there are others available for them to suggest. You need to give the methotrexate a while to settle in and start making a difference.

I attach some links that you might find helpful and maybe when you have absorbed some of the information you could talk with the Helpline team who are available Monday - Friday 9.00 - 6.00 p.m.

Many of our members, myself included, have taken methotrexate for a while and report that the benefits outweigh the negatives. Each of us have been through the scary time of early diagnosis and we all have to take time to adjust to life with arthritis, learn ways to cope and this is where the support of the community is so valuable. We are here for you on good and not so good days, here when you want to have a rant, scream or cheer because you want to share your experiences with people who know how you are feeling and what you are talking about.

So do keep in touch.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• WESTHAM
    WESTHAM Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to reply & advise some sites for me to look at, it has calmed me a little & made my future less scary.

Hope you are keeping well.

Big thanks & I will keep in touch?

Karen