Val's Cafe

Comments

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 3,952

Ok, Hi to everyone in general can’t write more , need to take care of my neck have a nice day. Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Hello all its a beautiful day here 😊

Toni my friend has been doing the leaves again ..they are so lovely would love to see pics if the ones P paints she must really feel comforted hearing your voice 🤗bless her..yes my brother really has done well but like P is very tired now

Niamh has come today fir a couple if hours ..so we made cake..thankyou fir the mega Scottish breakfast xx

Joan thankyou you are always so kind ..think we light ring the hospital next week to see were Mr Bs letter is mind you so many are waiting..love to all of you xx.

mike the figures are amazing you have very good eyes ..and talent for painting them ..I love them ..xx.

Reshmi you did really well in your day out all thoes steps I'm so pleased you had a good time and all is well not at your house xx

Kath I am really pleased you feel better ..and I love the photos ..nothing nicer . A proud mum xx

Love to everyone

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12

Love
    Barbara
  • bosh

Thanks Barbara That’s very kind, Lord A told me that he doesn’t drive a taxi anymore he’s got his own car, lol, i’m glad the weather is nice where you are I think the weather probably wasn’t too bad here but I didn’t go out today was a bit tired have a nice evening “speak “ to you soon. Xx

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

mike the figures are amazing you have very good eyes ..and talent for painting them ..I love them .

Thanks Barbara, it's down to the eye drops, my glasses and a special pair of magnifying glasses with built in lights!!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 25. Oct 2021, 05:52

Morning everyone!

Hi Joan yes it is difficult to drink on the move but they do put lids with a tiny spout on them so not too bad 😋I had another Mcplant (vegan mcdonalds burger) too! REALLY nice. My brother is getting his head around his kidney failure diagnosis and just missing his snacks bless him. Barbara will know all about that.

Well Mike!!! Thank you so much for posting the photos your figures are incredible. So tiny! I can't believe you can actually paint the whites and pupils of the eyes, but you can! What an incredibly intricate process. You must post the photos (ok, ok 3/4 days is probably pretty good for Cornish dreckly😁) on the triumphs thread is it? So other people can see it.

No way would I have expected that each figure has to be prepared so carefully before you even start to paint any colour onto it. I take it you have to paint the castle and trees etc as well? Sorry if I sound a bit ignorant.

It's interesting that each diorama really is based on real battles, but I like that you modify them yourself to suit your own imagination. The next one you are planning sounds a mammoth project for 2022.

Ok I will stop asking for photos now until you have done maybe 50 more figures! Then of course we will need to see the finished diorama. Wonderful! Thanks again.

Reshmi you did really well stairs are tough that's why we moved to a bungalow a few years ago. It is however a bungalow on a hill so we have lots of steps to get in. Part of the garden landscaping has been to make sure you can get in all the way round (except the front door) via ramps.

Escalators are good, but I am scared of 'down' ones anyway! You did well and people need to understand that you need a little more time especially on steep steps. At least it wasn't rush hour or you would have really struggled with people behind.

If your sister's house is on 3 floors how come your BIL isn't as thin as a whippet?!🤭 Good she drove you about a fair bit even if she did miss the turn due to excessive nattering! Bless her. She should eat cake life is too short not to, but as you say maybe she fears others' opinions in public.

Lord A was clearly thrilled to see his favourite Auntie! I know mine were the same with books no way you can skip even a line! That boy is a bloodhound sniffing out tiny chocolates like that😁 How sweet that baby R was so happy to see you that his bowl went flying🤗 adorable. Wouldn't that be great a footballer (LA) and a cricketer (Baby R) definitely no need for a sky subscription🤞

nope they can't fly sorry....

Barbara I am so glad you saw Niamh even just for a bit.

Ah your brother has done incredibly well I mean we didn't expect him to see the Christmas before we lost Aidan did we? Tired like P hope his GF is doing ok and coping with it all ((()))

Yes do ring the hospital there is no harm at all checking in is there. I'm sure you will be really polite and if it's ludicrously far off get the GP to write a letter.

Kitty I hope you had a good restful day yesterday and that everything came the day before from ASDA?

Sleek said you had cockles on the order and you shared a jar because you were feeling much better😘

Oh dear this is Carol

and we need some breakfast

low sodium ones

• Mike1

Morning Froggie, thanks for the kind words. Yes I did build the castle and the base, the castle is made from a kit which I slightly adapted and the base is made from polystyrene which I carved with a bread knife and then covered in plaster bandages before painting and putting on grass, mud, the moat etc. Have a good one.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899

Good morning everyone

Mike ((())) your figures are good you must feel proud of them. Have a good day love to vixen

Reshmi ((())) I hope you have a good day today and your family.

Toni ((())) hope all is well there. Love to all your family (((()))

Barbara ((())) I hope Mr B (())) feels a bit better love to your family

Kath ((())) love to everyone there have a good day.

Love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((())

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 25. Oct 2021, 10:06

Morning everyone.

Mike, the diorama looks so realistic, I'd love to see one of Nottingham Castle - the original, not the current mishmash. With the Sherriff of Nottingham and Robin Hood. I know some people don't believe in him but I do.

Joan, what pretty lady? well thank you ma'am, so kind.

Antoinette, my PEF was 300 on Saturday - I was thrilled. I'm sure Sleek is quite correct in saying it's thank to her administrations. She gave me a most welcome sleeping potion on Saturday. I'm positive it helped.

Reshmi, reading about you climbing all those steps has worn me out. And breathe.

Chickpea and spinach curry

30 Minutes Serves 2 Easy from Olive Magazine

Got some tins of chopped tomatoes and chickpeas in the cupboard, but stuck for inspiration? Try this wholesome veggie curry featuring spinach and potatoes.

Ingredients

• groundnut or sunflower oil 1 tbsp
    • onion 1 small, halved and sliced
    • root ginger a thumb-sized piece, grated
    • garlic 1 clove, sliced
    • garam masala 1 tbsp
    • chopped tomatoes 400g tin
    • chickpeas 400g tin
    • small salad potatoes 200g, quartered
    • spinach 100g, chopped
    • naan bread to serve (optional)

Method

• STEP 1
    • Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large pan. Cook the onion, ginger and garlic for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garam masala and cook for a couple of minutes.
    • STEP 2
    • Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and potatoes and a mug of water then simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potato is tender and the sauce has thickened. Stir in the spinach until just wilted.
    • STEP 3
    • Serve in bowls on its own or with naan bread if you like.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh

Hi Toni, thanks about the stairs yes that must be quite handy with the ramps and only one floor, yes escalators can be a bit scary, i’ve found that the case even before I was diagnosed, yes, rush hours exacerbate the problems definitely. Not Sure I guess that must be just bil overeating. Ok I realise I’m not answering properly but I’m trying to preserve the integrity of my neck as it were, appreciating my rather strange sense of humour take care. beans look great I forgot to say.xx

• bosh

Thanks Kathleen and And Joan, hope you have a great day too take care. Hi Barbara Hope you have a nice one, bye for now xx

• barbara12

Evening all Another nice day here so Mr B drove I did a little shop and left him in the car..but goid news he had a letter at lunch time he will be seen on the 29 Nov.. and it Sat's ge might gave a preop on same day if they have time ...blimey 🙂.

Toni you are right my brother was only given 6 months..he has booked another holiday for next summer ..who knows ..I think niamh will be here on weds..giid for your brother but if he's anything like me I lapse quite a lot...I hope all is well at yours xx

Mike you are welcome..I'm sure museums would love them ...my eldest brother use to recreate battles with soldiers not make them like you though xx

Reshmi Lord A sounds like a right character bless and him and the baby must love you so much xx

Kath more chickpeas I always have them in my cupboard..so thankyou for the recipe..glad things are improving fir you xx.

Joan have you and Sue been to your cafe lately ...hope you have had our nice weather love to you all xx

Love to all

Xxxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Morning everyone.

Mike you are very welcome I only ever speak the truth. You did the base too very clever and research would be needed. How on earth would you start on one of the original Nottingham castle 🏰 which Kath loves.....that would be till 2023!

Hope Sue is ok - what is on the menu for today?

Joan how are you today? How is your pain? we are all find Paul is in Edinburgh though never mind lucky he likes driving. ((())) xxx

Reshmi if your neck is bad at the moment you must rest it. When mine goes it goes and it's pretty dreadful so bad I can retch with the pain so you have my sympathy. Using laptops and games etc are not a natural position for our head so until it settles you are wise not to stay on for too long.

Yes our bungalow is great once you are in it's all on the one floor you soon get used to going to bed 'downstairs'!

Keep up with your humour! It's good makes me smile ((()))

Kitty yes Sleek says it was definitely her who 'poot Arnty Kaff ryte' sleep is always good. Pflow back to 300? That's great I am so pleased.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a diorama of the original Nottingham Castle and of course Robin Hood existed you are quite right I'm sure. Sleek agrees

The curry looks yummy! I might make it for myself and Lucy this week maybe tomorrow today we are going to have shakshuka I have all the right ingredients ready to use.

Barbara that is great news about Mr B and his poor hip(s) I am thrilled I bet he is too and no need to chase it! Well done you managing a little shop and him for driving you there 😊 Wouldn't it be great if they did the pre-op as well!!!

Exactly your brother was only given 6 months here he is about to see his 2nd Christmas - reasonably well - and even has next years' holiday booked! Incredible!! That trial has been wonderful for him I bet Christies are so pleased too.

I hope Niamh does come on Wednesday bless her and you it will do you all so much good.

At the moment my brother is being very very well behaved until he gets his BP below where they want it. Them he says he'll ease up and start drinking at least decaf coffee sometimes. He is probably being too hard on himself.

Love of course to Carol I hope we see her before she goes away.

Breakfast:

low sodium for Barbara.

• Mike1

Mike you are very welcome I only ever speak the truth. You did the base too very clever and research would be needed. How on earth would you start on one of the original Nottingham castle 🏰 which Kath loves.....that would be till 2023! Hope Sue is ok - what is on the menu for today?

Thanks Froggie. I wouldn't mind doing a proper scale model of an existing castle and I agree with Kathleen that Robin Hood was certainly a real person. 2023 is probably about right!! Nothing exciting today for my weekly brew and natter with Sue but there are a couple of Kit Kats in the fridge.

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) how are you doing and your Dad ((())) I hope you have a good day love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily (((()))

Barbara that is good news for Mr B ((())) I hole there is time for his pre op then as well good luck ((())) love to your son (((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece (((())) and her fiancé (((())). No we have not been to the cafe to cold.

Toni ((())) thank you for asking about my pain I have had a pain from my hip down to my hip the hip is artificial.

You said about P ((())) painting leaves we used to put line's in a piece of potato and dip it in paint and make patterns. Have a good day love to Paul ((())) and Charley (((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers (((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day all of you take care.

Love to Chris (((())) and Carol ((())) and Mike ((())) and vixen

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

Morning gang,

Feeling much better now thanks and sleeping well too thanks to Sleek's potion. Although getting out of bed is difficult as I am so stiff and walk like an Egyptian.

Kitty in the morning!

Mike. here is a drawing of the real Nottingham Castle to give you some ideas. ne marked and one unmarked so you can see where everything was.

Barbara, Nov 29 is my dad's birthday.

Joan, thank you for caring. 💖

Antoinette, CHEESE ON TOAST, yummy

Curried celeriac

1 Hour Serves 4Easy

With its nutty, creamy flesh, celeriac works really well in this curry – the roasted cubes soak up the flavours of the spices. Serve with steamed rice for a warming vegan dinner

By Adam Bush Olive Magazine

Ingredients

• celeriac 1 large, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
    • vegetable oil 3 tbsp
    • cumin seeds 1 tbsp
    • black mustard seeds 1 tbsp
    • coriander seeds 2 tsp, lightly crushed
    • ground turmeric 2 tsp
    • black peppercorns ground to make 2 tsp
    • onion 1, chopped
    • garlic 4 cloves, chopped
    • ginger thumb-sized piece, peeled and chopped
    • green chilli 1, chopped
    • coriander a bunch, stalks chopped, leaves picked and torn to serve
    • coconut milk 400g tin
    • lime ½, juiced
    • steamed rice to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tip the celeriac into a large bowl with 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil and some seasoning. Toss to combine. Add the cumin, mustard seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric and pepper, and toss again until the celeriac is well coated. Spread out the celeriac and all the spices on a large baking tray, and roast for 30 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the celeriac is lightly caramelised and cooked through.
    • STEP 2
    • Meanwhile, put the onion, garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander stalks and 2 tbsp of water in a small food processor and blitz to a smooth purée.
    • STEP 3
    • Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan and cook the purée with a pinch of salt for 20 minutes, stirring often until darkened and fragrant. Tip in the roasted celeriac and all of the spices from the tray, followed by the coconut milk. Simmer for 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly. Season, then squeeze in the lime juice. Scatter with the coriander leaves and serve alongside some steamed rice.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh

Hi Barbara thanks for your nice comments hope you have a nice day even though weather seems to be a bit gloomy at the moment at least it’s where I am, take care.

• bosh

Hi Toni, back your neck pain sounds terrible to me, poor you, must hard to bear, thanks for your concern but I’ve done the neck physio and that helps me a lot and I’m trying to get not too obsessed with my iPad today, in my case fortunately I don’t get it as badly as you but I am being sensible thanks again 😄. Bungalow sounds great. I’m trying Carob again in very small portions well that’s the plan because lots of things could’ve been upsetting my stomach at that time wasn’t necessarily carob hope this experiment works out because I like it so much and I’m not a big chocolate scoffer phone little sister or bil, lol, yes I’m unnatural position I agree completely I barely use my phone okay bye for now take care

• bosh

Hi Kathleen and Joan. Hope you have a good day J and Sue too , take care Kathleen I’m signing out. Xx.

• frogmorton

Morning everyone 😊

Morning Mike I thought it would have to be 2023 as you said your next project would take the best part of next year. It would be great to see one of Nottingham Castle wouldn't it? Kit kats are always good I get the vegan ones now they taste exactly the same as cow's milk chocolate ones😋 Hope your voice is ok after talking so much yesterday😉

Joan your poor hip hurts even though it's a replacement one is it the osteoporosis? ((())) Potatoes as a stamper what a good idea. Last year P and I wrote on leaves and left them around the village for people to read and hopefully make them smile.😊 ((())) xxx for you and Sue. I heard from Bill yesterday he is doing well and send his love to us all.

Kitty I am going to spend the day singing 'walk like an egyptian'! remember the song from the 1980s?!

I am so pleased you are sleeping better but it does make you stiff doesn't it? have you finished your rescue pack now and ordered another in?

Glad you enjoyed the cheese on toast. I loved the curry it was amazing!😋 Thank you very much indeed. Sleek has tweaked the recipe and made a cockle curry. Sorry she is on her was with some for you to try🤢

I reckon Mike might just do you a Robin Hood diorama!

Barbara I hope your eyes are ok from their day off. Enjoy having Niamh over for her tea ((()))

Reshmi carob - that's a good idea how will you have it? it's so difficult trying to work out what upsets your tummy I am in a similar position. Speaking to Dr (on phone) Friday morning at 9am (I hope) about mine which aches most of the time pretty constantly to be fair and i sort of have the two bob bits more than most people. Like you I think is it meds....is it food...maybe it's just me!

Good girl not going on your Ipad too much that will help you neck. I also ditched my two pillows and changed for a contoured one about 10 years or more ago which tucks into your neck keeping it aligned. I have had several in that time and take them on holiday with me too! You are good doing your physio I do mine too and things have been much better. If I think it's going to flare up I rest immediately start on my Arcoxia and keep off the laptop and in my case phone as much as possible.

Bungalows or flats are what us people with arthritis need.👍️

Well I'd better get on need to finish my Ocado order

I fancied these!

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) all your bones stiffens up and it takes time to get them going ((())) are your deliveries coming alright. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily (((())) and your Dad (((()))

Toni ((())) sorry you have tummy ache good luck talking to the Doctor I hope he helps. They said we were having snow the end of October it not in sight yet. Love to Paul (((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours (((())) sue has two of the carers that left coming to see her today. Thank you it's nice Bill ((())) is getting on alright.

Love to Barbara ((())) and her family (((()))

Reshmi ((())) sorry you have so many problems love to your family (((()))

Love to Chris (((())) and Carol ((())) and Mike (((())) and vixen.

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

Joan, I know they do. I haven’t fully got used to OP as it is very different to RA. Different joints are affected. RA is more in your fingers, hands, shoulders and elbows. Rather than hips etc.

Reshmi, I love carob, Especially as biscuits.

Antoinette, I can just hear you singing. I have one more day of my rescue pack. Bronchiectasis sufferers need two weeks, one isn’t enough for us. My next one arrived in my last prescription, so all ready. I’m waiting for an Amazon delivery. Hope it’s not late.

I hope Mike finds my pictures helpful.

• Mike1

I hope Mike finds my pictures helpful.

Hi Kathleen, thanks for the pictures of Nottingham Castle, I have saved them on my laptop for future use. I also have a book written by T E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) which contains details of all Crusader Castles in Europe that he wrote as part of his thesis whilst at University.

• bosh

Hi T , how are you? I’m going to have an orange flavoured carob bar but just a little piece at a time and see what happens they’re really nice I’ve had them before though are slightly expensive. I hope your phone call with the doctor goes well stomachs are very annoying things indeed aren’t they? I agree. Contoured pillow that sounds like a good idea I might look into that. There is a female physiotherapist on YouTube called Dr Jo, her exercises are really great and one of her neck exercises for arthritis is so helpful for me, mind you it does strain the back a little bit. but maybe worth looking into. Lord A said that he’s friends with both boys and girls in the nursery but with a very grumpy face and a sombre tone I think between you and the rest of us on this site his mummy made him say it 🤫, don’t tell anyone outside the tiny Internet community, lol, strictly private, or as my sister used to say she was little, “privite” Tc xx

• bosh

Hi Joan Hope you and Sue are okay today?nsnow at the end of October oh my goodness I hope that doesn’t happen take care. Xx