Covid and Psoriatic Arthritis

I took a series of chest infections from March 2020 and was referred to a Covid triage unit in May 2020 where the consultant I saw was pretty sure I'd had Covid in March. I wasn't tested for antibodies as they didn't have the facility to do so. I have suffered Psoriasis in the past and come from a family of Psoriasis sufferers. In September 2020 my left knee swelled and by late October I was diagnosed with PsA. I came across this article whilst browsing the other day. It certainly is very similar to what's happened to me last year - even down to the left knee swelling. I wonder if anyone is looking into this in the UK.

https://www.ajmc.com/view/researchers-report-first-known-case-of-covid-19-triggered-psoriatic-arthritis

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that covid can trigger PsA. I think all inflammatory forms of arthritis can be triggered, in susceptible individuals, by viruses and bacterial infections. I guess it's the luck of the draw. I don't know what triggered mine but my Dad had very mild autoimmune problems so I guess I was genetically 'primed' for it.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

I think it could trigger it. Covid seems to find the weakness in people and push them over edge. I have heard quite a lot of people have been tipped into being type 2 diabetic after covid-maybe they were borderline before but the illness pushes them over the line