Flare ups

Hello everybody, how do you deal with your flare-ups? Where do you get help from? The RA team or your GP surgery? My GP surgery is ...less than helpfull ☹ & I feel that the hospital RA team shouldn't deal with this. My GP surgery passed me from one to another & in the end, after waiting for over the phone appointments 🙄, they just said "they couldn't reach me" 🤨. Please, where do you get quick help from, during flare-ups?🙏🙏🙏 ( I'm only 47 years old, I can't afford to retire)

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Dani

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you are querying where best to go, either the G.P surgery or the rheumatology team, when dealing with a flare up.

Are there any particular joints that you suffer with more than others?

In my own personal experience, I never bother my G.P surgery with flare up situations as I find that they don't really understand what my needs are. However, we all have different experiences and you may find some peoples G.P’s are great in these situations.

In your case, I would say contact your RA team as you have already tried with your doctor surgery and had little luck. At the end of the day, both services are there to help you.

In the meantime, below is a couple of links to a page our main website all about managing your pain and rheumatoid arthritis. Within the rheumatoid arthritis link there is a section on managing flare ups which you may find helpful. Hopefully both will help you pick up up some hints and tips.

Once again, thank you for joining us and please do keep us updated. Feel free to join in on other topics that you find of interest. We are a friendly bunch and always looking to make new friends.

Best wishes

Anne (Moderator)

• MissA
    MissA Member Posts: 54

I find the very best people to contact for advice & reassurance during a flare up is the Rheumatology Team nurses. Although I always have to leave a message on an answerphone, which can be frustrating at times, they usually call me back in good time & offer very good advice, I don’t know what I’d do without them.

• Arthuritis
    Arthuritis Member Posts: 443

@Dani I am so sorry to hear that. I haven’t had much help from my gp practice either. In encounters with other medics in hospital my sense is that finding a good rheumy is the priority. Most other medics only have a superficial understanding of it unless they have it themselves, and have no idea how stressful it is for patients. Actual Rheumatologists are a bit better, and also know about what drugs will help you.

How long have you had it and which meds are you on?