What sort of questions should I ask my GP about my knee osteoarthritis

Options

I have a phone appointment with my GP on the 9th of December about my osteoarthritis in my knees I'm not sure what questions to ask him can you give me some advice please

Comments

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Have a think about turning the conversation around and you telling him what levels of pain and immobility you have and how it’s affect8ng your social, domestic and work life? Doctors will usually go for a soft treatment option first so make sure he understands your pain, physical and emotional state. Write it down and give him a copy.

its a grin, honest!

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi @Blueskyday68

I'm so glad you have an appointment coming up.

Your GP needs to know just how it is for you so start now by keeping a note/diary to include levels 0-10 for pain, fatigue, energy, sleep, mood, activity.

I found the link with activity was there but delayed and recovery took longer than the activity did! But some activities are worth the pay back and as you get settled you will learn what can be done and when.

When I did mine prior to diagnosis I did morning, afternoon and evening.

Like @airwave says you need to tell it how it is, even if that is a bit upsetting. I'm sure you could post the information in a letter and note it with your name and say it's for your phone appointment on 9th December.

I'll be thinking of you and sending strength and some gentle ((((())))) hugs your way

Yvonne x

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85
    Options

Hi @Blueskyday68 I also think it would be helpful to go through what you have already tried, as I think you can’t be referred on the nhs to a consultant unless things like weight loss (if you are overweight), physiotherapy and pain relief have been tried and aren’t working. The doctor needs to know what your expectation is - if you are looking to be referred to a consultant, say so, and find out what hoops you need to go through if that can’t yet be done.