Early onset

Options

Hi - new member seeking sympathy and learning, please. Man of 78, yes, I know, must expect it at this age, but MUST I?

I've had a "clicky" middle finger on one hand for a year or so, but nothing else. Suddenly these past three weeks THAT finger has got worse along with a neighbour plus aches on a couple of fingers on the other hand. No swellings, just a pain. What is going on? Is it the onset of Arthritus? Can I do anything to slow/stop it at this stage or shall I resign myself to my fate. Any and all advice gratefully received.

JohnF

Comments

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548
    Options

Hi @JohnF - Welcome to the online community!

I see you have been suffering from a “clicky” finger for about a year, but in the past couple of weeks this finger has suddenly get worse, and you’re also experiencing pain and aches on some fingers on your other hand.

It is possible this is arthritis. If the pain stays (or has stayed) for more than two weeks the advice is to see your doctor and have it examined. This is especially important if the pain is getting worse. This may well give you a diagnosis of osteoarthritis. The lack of swelling means it’s less likely to be a different type of arthritis.

You should certainly not “resign yourself to your fate”. Even if it is arthritis there are many things you can do to help yourself and keep mobility in your hands and fingers. There are specially designed exercises for your hands and fingers your can do, for instance, which can increase strength and mobility which have a long term impact.

But before you start worrying or resigning, do take a look at our information in hand pain below - there are other possibilities. It’s also not something you should expect as you get older.

Do have a look around the rest of the community and see if you can find anything if interest.

Lovely to meet you!

Shell

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

Having aches and pains since I was young and diagnosed when I was 25 I think you’ve done well to avoid any major problems. Despite problems very few of us get attention of a meaningful kind, there are many ways to cope and it’s a multifaceted approach that helps. Have a chat with your GP.

it’s a grin, honest!

• grom
    grom Member Posts: 12
    Options

Maybe go to your GP and get a blood test to check what type of arthritis you have. that would then clarify what treatment they can offer. Hope the pain settles.