New to the Group

Options
Trudie
Trudie Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi My name is Trudie. I have osteoathritis of the knee and have managed it until recently with exercise. Recently the athritis has flared up and has spread to my Hands. The pain is unbearable at times and my knees and legs are stiff and swollen. The doctor is also exploring muscle pain linked to Statins and I am currently without the Statin. He is also advising weight loss. Currently I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and would like to hear how other Athritis sufferers cope with their symptoms. Many thanks.

Comments

• Hi @Trudie

Welcome to the online community! You've come to the right place for sharing, chatting and support.

It's good to see that you have been able to manage with exercise but there are times when this does not 'cut the mustard' and we need to seek more advice. Well done on going back to the doctor for further help-it can be a big step to take.

The whole journey with arthritis can be very overwhelming and it is never the same for everyone. You may need to try a few different treatments or medications before you find the one that is right for you but don't worry, this is not uncommon and many of us here are ready to listen and share advice.

Unbearable pain is just awful and I'm sure that most of us can relate. You might find some of this advice useful:

Weight loss is something that is often advised to people with arthritis, especially if it is the lower joints that are affected. We have some tips for weight management here if this is something that you would like some information about:

Everyone is different so the way that people manage their symptoms is of course down to the individual. I've always been quite active and just never stop, so I have made myself listen to my body more and just rest when I need to. Even as I type, I have my feet up with a heat pack (it's one of those days)

There are plenty of wonderful members here who will gladly share their experiences with you, and will no doubt have some great advice. Please keep talking to us and look after yourself!

Take care,

Sarah

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @Trudie

Welcome to the forum from me too😊

Sounds as though you are having a tough time at the moment. Arthritis does this sometimes doesn't it? You should look after yourself while this flare settles. I hope your GP has prescribed some half decent pain relief for you.

I heard that about statins the other day so it has to be worth a try, but hopefully not for too long as i am sure you'd rather be on your statins than off them.

Sending a supportive ((()))