Half Knee replacement. 3 month post op pain

FeedtheBear
FeedtheBear Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

HI all. New to the community so bear with me. Suffered with sceptic arthritis in right hip at age 11(now 51). Ended up with 2cm difference in leg length. Had the right hip replaced aged 35. Then after years of the left side doing all the work the back and knee pain just got too much on that side . Thought it was only the knee that was the issue but after numerous scans and xrays turns out the left hip was stiff too. So advice was to consider getting left hip replaced before any works on the knee.

Left hip replaced August 2020. All went really well. Then had half knee replaced in August 2021. Again all went well and first 8-9 weeks recovery were really positive. But for past 4 weeks I have constant pain in new parts of knee when weight bearing on leg. Id say this is worse now than in the first 8 weeks of recovery. Its especially bad when I first stand from seated position and weight bear and then take my first 3 or 4 steps. IS THIS NORMAL/EXPECTED ??

Bending is pretty good (approx 115 degrees) and the swelling is still evident but what Id expect. But the pain is concerning .

Anyone who has been thru the knee op , did you experience similar? Really appreciate anyones feedback

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @FeedtheBear and welcome to the online community,

You had a partial knee replacement in August 2021 and after 8 weeks of improvement, you started to experience constant pain when weight bearing. You'd like to know if others have experienced similar symptoms.

Over the last few months there have been several posts from members who have undergone total and partial knee replacement. Everyone's experience has been slightly different but most agree that healing and recovery take a long time. I've linked below to a recent thread that you might like to read, or if you type 'Partial knee replacement' into the search bar at the top right hand of the page, you'll find lots of discussions on the topic.

The Versus Arthritis webpage has a comprehensive section on knee replacement surgery, including a section mid way down that talks about recovery. It mentions that your knee will continue to improve for up to two years after the operation as muscles and tendons repair themselves.

Other members may also be able to share with you their own experience of knee replacement surgery which I'm sure will reassure you.

Do let us know how you're getting on,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

HI @FeedtheBear

I love your username!

Have you been discharged from your consultant already? I hope not because I would think some reassurance from him/her would be really helpful wouldn't it?

Hopefully a knee person will be along soon with their experience.

Take care

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

My knee replacements and even my knee revision are too long ago for me to remember in detail but, if this is a new pain, I think you should contact a health professional to get it checked out - your surgeon, ideally, your physio or even your GP who could order another x-ray to check that nothing has moved. Meanwhile, I suggest you just keep doing your regular quads. I hope someone can help soon.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @FeedtheBear

I have had a total knee replacement. It is a much longer recovery than the hip (I thought it would be the other way round initially) and frogmorton is right, my knee is now pretty much as it should be, good bend, weight bearing etc. It won't let me kneel but I couldn't do that before for a long time and I have tendon issues so maybe that is it.

I was advised if my hip then was bad enough for a replacement that would be done first too. I'm hanging on as long as I can because of age issues - and of course waiting times now!

I would contact surgeon or his secretary if you aren't discharged. I had only 1 post op appointment until my 1 year visit, so I was still able to reach him. Otherwise GP, Physio will be able to help or organise help.

Please let us know the outcome, I'm sure it would be very useful for other people who have similar symptoms after a knee replacement.

Take care

xx

• HI All. Thanks for the replies. Ive spoken with consultant by email and he thinks its the medial ligament getting used to being under tension from new knee. Especially as he has also slightly corrected a bit of a bow in my leg, which I was aware he had done. And now that majority of the swelling has gone down too

Ill Keep working away at the exercise. He is happy to see me Dec /Jan if it persists so Im going to keep at it for another few weeks and see how it develops

Thanks again

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @FeedtheBear

That's a great result, and good news as well, can't ask for much more than that. Keep us updated on how you get on, it's good for the next person to have the same op as you have just had, and good to know what to do if you are worried at all.

xx