Can’t cope with chronic pain

Hi

i have had problems with my right hip and knees for several years. Diagnosed with OA in both knees and both hips. My right hip has been deteriorating over the past two years and am waiting on hip replacement, delays of at least 8 months, as told by consultant. GP started me on morphine about 2 months ago and now am on oxy contin and oxynorm but despite these I have constant severe leg and foot pain, I can’t walk a short distance from room to room, sit or lay down without pain. I’ve done exercise previously but am at the point where it’s completely out of the question. Have tried distraction things, but cannot hold my concentration now. At my wits end, and don’t know what to do?

Comments

• Hi @AiAi1111

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering so much, it's awful. The delays to surgery are a nightmare, and although they can't be helped, it doesn't help you personally in the meantime does it. I'm glad that you have been to your GP and that they have helped with medication- could you go back to them again to distress your discomfort while you wait? I know that all we seem to do is visit GPs etc sometimes.

You've done the right thing in chatting to the helpline team here to so they will be able to help you further than myself. However, here are some links that might be of interest to you in the meantime:

Most importantly, listen to your body and do what you are comfortable with no matter how big or small that may seem to you. Keep talking to us, we are all here to help you.

Take care,

Sarah

• Hi @AiAi1111

Thank you for posting on the forum and thank you @SarahS for your help here.

I am so sorry to hear how much pain you are experiencing and how difficult it is becoming for you. It’s completely understandable that you feel at your wit's end. Have you spoken to your Health Care Professional about how you are feeling? Counseling, talking therapies, or CBT may be helpful. It may also be worth reviewing your medication. You may have already tried this but Capsaicin cream is known for its effects on blocking the pain signals, It's made from the chili plant and is available on prescription.

Often when it gets so overwhelming our emotional well-being is the area that we can focus on, reaching out to others, eating well, getting enough sleep, along with trying to find what works for you. We have a new series on our YouTube channel, under make your move, which is mindfulness with Sandra, you may find the links below helpful.

https://bit.ly/3DtV0KZ

https://bit.ly/3G6wEIL

Talking to someone else is always a great help, so please do call our helpline, 0800 5200 520 weekdays 9am – 6pm, please do look after yourself, I hope you find some relief.

Kind Regards

Sarah, Helpline advisor

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

I would ask your GP to write to the consultant and tell him how out of control your pain is. Waiting lists are not strictly in order of time waited- those with more severe disease get a higher priority- you need to make sure the severity of your condition has been flagged. Also ask your GP whether this is a circumstance where the NHS would cover the cost of you being done in a private hospital.

My pain is nothing like as bad as yours I know but I have found a tens machine can be useful- they aren't expensive and it may be worth a go

• AiAi1111
    AiAi1111 Member Posts: 4

Thank you all for support and advice. Am due a review with GP so will ask about capsaicin and about further input regarding surgery. Honestly haven’t cried so much due to pain as I have this week. Up until the beginning of covid (unfortunately coinciding with onset of regular hip problems) I was enjoying yoga at different places 4-6 times a week and swimming 1 to 1 and a half miles before work 4-5 times a week and now I can barely get from bed to toilet, let alone leave the house. I miss being socially interactive but not sure I want to be round people as I feel miserable and frustrated all the time. Knowing there are people who understand does make a difference

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I can't help but wonder if the lack of your usual exercises caused the hip problems. My husband has always been very active and dealt with dodgy hips for years with glucosamine and golf. When the former began to do nothing for him and the latter became impossible, he stuck to gardening and walks. When that became difficult (he was waiting for new hips by then) he bought an exercise bike. He started with about 2 minutes once per day and built up to three 20 min sessions by the time of his first operation.

Before my own THRs and TKRs I've always done the prescribed exercises - very gently and lightly - and found they did help with pain and mobility.

As for social interaction, do you do Zoom? WhatsApp? etc. They all help.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • AiAi1111
    AiAi1111 Member Posts: 4
    edited 3. Dec 2021, 14:59

I exercised regularly right up to a few months ago, obviously yoga stopped prior to swimming. I stopped as I could no longer dress my self. I have no ability to get on/off an exercise bike as I have no abduction or adduction in my right hip and very limited flexion. I worked right up till recently, as a nurse, through covid. When I had to change my pain killers to morphine I had to stop work. The extra long delays due to covid backlog mean that many people are now having to cope with more severe problems as surgery is much more delayed now.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Oh tell me about it😉 One of my own ancient THRs is now irreparable as it's heading into my pelvis. Mr SW managed to get his first hip done about 3 weeks before covid hit. In desperation, he paid for his other one out of the money we'd saved by not being able to visit our son and grandson. Now he's waiting for an ECO. Never a dull moment!

I could never manage an exercise bike either as my legs have been different lengths for years but I swear the combination of exercises and surgical shoes has kept me walking albeit not much and not far even rollator-assisted.

One tip - there are lots of dressing aids on any disability site. I have a sort of long-handled shoe horn with a hand on the other end. I use the hand to get base layers over my head, ease my socks off, fasten the velcro on my shoes and shove my trousers down. I also have a sock aid and, when all else fails, Mr SW😁

I hope you can find a way to cope with the wait. It must be hard when you've spent your life nursing others.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131

exercise is great if you can do it but a lot really cannot. I am extremely limited in exercise ability too and its lousy. we all know it helps but when a joint is really wrecked you can't