Advice about Steroid injection

Hi all,

It’s been a while since I posted anything as after my TKR in 2016 my arthritis was ticking along ok and didn’t flare as often when I was able to exercise a bit more. But a year ago I started getting pains in my new replacement knee! But long story short it’s turned out to be hip arthritis in that side causing the issue. The pain in my groin can be intense and I’m currently struggling to put shoes etc on or even sit on loo! But I’ve also got pain down my leg and in my knee.

The consultant says it’s not ready to be replaced as there is still space around joint! So he’s offered an injection and physio mainly because I’m allergic to painkillers. My questions are twofold.

1. How well has injection worked? I’m terrified as I do tend to react to drugs and the thought of steroids is really scary.
  2. anyone experiencing hip arthritis travelling to knee?

thanks loads, you wonderful people and happy new year

wobbly

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Wobblylegs
    Wobblylegs Member Posts: 99
    edited 6. Jan 2022, 12:05

Thanks Peter, I have read the entire booklet but my issues are more related to the fact that I’d like to hear some real world experience on both issues. I’m very phobic about medical interventions but especially drugs as I’ve had many quite severe reactions. Plus I don’t have inflammatory arthritis but osteoarthritis.

Talking about steroids I could even take “the pill” or even the mirena coil because of how my body reacted to the hormones in them. I’m also very allergic to painkillers. So I hope you can understand my nervousness.

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

Hi @Wobblylegs I've got oa in my right hip and I had a steroid injection about 3 months ago i was really nervous same as you but it did work and I had no pain straight away it was great and all the nurses and my consultant were really good and made me feel better i did get a jolt when he was doing it and I let out a few choice words if you get my drift but they just laughed at me as I live in the west Midlands but am from Manchester so they loved my accent lool the injection is wearing off now but all I can say is try and have it done and good luck x

• Wobblylegs
    edited 6. Jan 2022, 14:27

Thank you @Jewels that so reassuring, I’m having mine done in the West Midlands as that’s where I live too! Did you have any side effects from it though? I just want to know what to expect as he’s told me I’ll have to rest for a couple of weeks as it may be more painful initially and they need the steroid to stay in place.

• Jewels
    Jewels Member Posts: 202

I had a bit of nausea but it passed @Wobblylegs im due a appointment soon so I'll know if hes going to put me on the waiting list for a hip replacement as I've totally worn mine out 😅

• Wobblylegs

@Jewels yes please keep me informed and thank you 😊

• Wobblylegs

Just to say thanks to everyone for their support with this. The injection was fine, just a little discomfort it felt wonderful whilst the local was working!

It’s now 2 weeks on and my hip pain is much better and although I’d been told to rest afterwards the amazing team told me to put it through its paces to make sure it has worked. I don’t know how long it will last but I’m not going to worry about having it done again! In fact I’d like all my joints done lol.