Starting to need some advice please

Options
Aborigine
Aborigine Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hip arthritis has got considerably more painful recently (does wet weather affect it?) and realise aspects of my home are seriously not helping, such as large garden, low-level oven, upstairs loo and overbath shower. Solution seems to be to find a bungalow, but as I also care for my 90 year old mother who lives with me in an extension, and I have a two year old Springer, a biggish bungalow is hard to find or afford.

Another issue is bad sleeping as am waking frequently to manually help myself turn in order to adjust my knee pillow. Am very reluctant to opt for surgery so will try and manage, but any advice from this community on ways to better manage would be helpful.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Aborigine and welcome to the online community,

Your arthritis has become more painful recently, and you are becoming aware that aspects of your home and garden are not helping. You've considered moving to a bungalow but since your elderly mother lives with you and you have a Springer, a biggish bungalow is hard to find.

I'm sure that other members can share their suggestions on how to make your life easier in your home - all our members have experience of living with arthritis and can understand what challenges you're facing.

The Versus Arthritis website has an interesting web page you might like to check out. As well as a video showing how one woman with osteo-arthritis, Christine, has learned how to manage in her home, the page also gives a link to where you can request a needs assessment from your council if you live in England to see if you would be eligible for aids and adaptations in your home. It also gives links for more information if you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Best wishes,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm