CoCodamol and constipation

Hi there

I'm waiting for a total hip replacement and am currently on 30/500 CoCodamol (2 a day) 8/500 CoCodamol (2 a day) plus naproxen. Was OK at first but I've started suffering with constipation. Tried senakot but it's not brilliant. Anyone any advice on other laxatives or foods to help? Thanks Ian

Comments

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

Try home made yoghurt, EasyYo from Lakeland, a pack of kits is £15 add in a insulated container for £1 to make them in. I have a spoonful every night and probably need to use again in 2-3 months. I don’t regularly take painkillers but save them for bad times when the yoghurt is a big help. I’ve had a constant headache since before Xmas and have been on amtrytoline, Tramadol and Naproxen, so it does work.

keeping your inner self fit and healthy makes a big difference to dealing with arther.

its a smile, honest!

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I had similar problems, it was an awful faff, and far from a laughing matter. Fruit, prunes etc didn’t work for me. Ask your doc for some cosmocol or movicol (same thing). That will soften your stools, while the senokot will get it moving. Otherwise it’s like trying to shift concrete. Drinking plenty of fluids will also help, but not enough on its own. It takes a while to work out how much of each works for you, and it may depend on what you eat each day. Make sure you know what you’re doing the following morning so you don’t suffer the embarrassing consequences of taking too much (I learnt that one the hard way!)

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

I was prescribed Laxido when I was in hospital and on opioids. The medics said they worked better than senna products you could buy over the counter. It is a powder and laughably orange flavoured. You take one in the morning and one in the evening.