Was walking bad for me?

Hello…I really wanted to do a particular walk that had been recommended…..up quite a steep hill but not far, along a ridge and down again. Very muddy and slippy in parts. It was only 2 miles.

A few months ago I would have done that walk with little discomfort. Today I was in pain the whole way in both hips and knees, particularly coming down hill. Back home having a cuppa and resting but wondering if that was the wrong thing to do. And fed up cos I love walking and used to do 5 miles, no problem.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I’m assuming you have osteoarthritis like me? I loved walking too, but OA in my hip stopped all that, but sometimes I would dose myself up on painkillers and go out anyway, at least for a short walk. I knew I would suffer for it the next day, so would make sure I didn’t have anything happening the next day so my body could recover. Is it bad for you? Probably not, the damage to your joints is already done, and it’s important to try keep the rest of your body moving as well as helping your mental health. But don’t overdo it - the more you push yourself, the longer it will take to recover.

it may be different if you have rheumatoid arthritis, I have no insights in that area, so others can advise you on that.

Have you been referred for treatment? If so, discuss this with your rheumatologist.

• nicholaj
    nicholaj Member Posts: 64

Thank you for this response …really helpful. I think the steep hill plus the slippy mud aggravated my hips and knees, particularly the left side which are my worst. I am a reluctant taker of pain killers so didn’t take any before the walk and just half a paracetamol when I got back.

Relaxing today.

I have my first phone call with the MSK clinic tomorrow so hopefully will get some support from that.

• Lilymary

I hope your consultation with MSK goes ok, do talk it through with them. You might find it helpful to go out with a walking pole, as that can take some of the strain off your joints on uneven ground, where they’re getting tested in all directions.

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 176

Hi. nicholaj

I too loved to go walking especially during the early days of lockdown. I have a park only just up the road from where I live and would walk for approx. an hour. But as time went on I was finding it harder to walk. Initially I would walk 4/5 times a week, but it gradually decreased to 2/3 times and now I very rarely go walking. I found walking on uneven ground would jar my knee and when I got back home would be in considerable pain. Even after resting my knee/ leg would be stiff and I would have to take a painkiller. Now, if I know that I have a busy day ahead I will take a painkiller to help get me started for the day. I don't really like taking painkillers, but find it helps to lift my mood as well as helping with the pain. I also find if I overdo it one day, then I try and rest a bit more the next day.

I try and do my physio exercises most days and am trying to keep positive. It does help being able to talk to people on here as well. I hope your phone conversation with the MSK clinic went ok.

Take care.

• nicholaj

Many thanks Fran and Lilymary.

The conversation with the clinic is this afternoon. We were supposed to be doing a walk with friends this morning but I’ve opted out as the experience the other day has left me a bit tense and wary. We are going for lunch with them instead.

The pain is my left knee and hip is hovering hence not walking today but I’ve done all my exercises this morning.

Great to have people to chat to on here. Lovely weather today so that lifts the spirits.

• I used to walk miles & cycle miles, two of my my 3 favourite pre- arthritis hobbies. I had to give up both as I have also other chronic conditions which made anything I once lived painful. I have recently become an ambulatory wheelchair user for this reason; so I can eventually get myself to more places under my own steam. I am still trying to build up confidence and muscle strength to be able to do this.As self-propelled wheels is harder than it looks. Maybe this may also be a solution to your getting about too? I couldn't get or afford an electronic chair or mobility scooter as I have no where to store it safely, and I thought a manual one would become part of my physio routine. I miss walking so much and also dancing. Cycling too. Arthritis does impact significantly on one's life.

• nicholaj

My concerns with the physio from MSK went quite well. Rocky start as the GP had only referred me for painful knee whereas a lot more hurts me than that. Physio looked at my X-ray results and concluded that my left knee is indeed the most arthritic up that it is my back rather than hips which are adding to pain. He was pleased I have already commenced the exercises suggested on this website but added Pilates ones for my back, sending me a link. Being referred for knee injection.

The best thing he said was that although walking hurts I am not doing any damage, just that the nerves get inflamed and resting for a few days after will calm them down. So that’s made me feel more confident about walking.

Also said I can take more paracetamol than the one a day I am taking currently if the pain is bad.

• nicholaj

Typos…consultation with physio, not concerns. But it is my back, not up it is my back.

Wine with dinner has gone a bit to my head!!

• Lilymary
    edited 20. Jan 2022, 22:56

That’s all good news. My OA went from zero to off the scale in a few weeks after a tumble. My job can be very physical, and at its worst I was up to the recommended max of eight 30/500 cocodamol and two naproxen a day. It was just enough to keep me mobile, even if still in severe pain, before I finally got my new hip. Given that the walking won’t do any major damage as far as the bones and joints are concerned (other than a flare up), don't feel afraid to review your pain management meds with your medical team if your condition deteriorates and you feel the need to keep mobile.