Knee pain getting worse

Options
Steph62
Steph62 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I am here to get some help for my partner who just won’t go to the Dr. He has really bad arthritis in his knees which is giving him so much pain each day. I feel a bit helpless with it all and wondered if anyone could suggest what to do for him. He walks every day and has recently started exercising on a bike but nothing seems to work. Should I really press him to seek help from a Dr first? He’s been once before but got fed up as they just told him he needed to exercise more…. Which he’s already doing!!! It’s got so much more worse recently and I’m worried if he leaves it it will impact even more

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi @Steph62 welcome to the Online Community.

Yes, it is very worth while to have the arthritis treated properly and there may be some complications as the condition progresses. Having this checked and monitored by the GP will also provide an opportunity to monitor pain levels and have some prescribed pain killers.

We have a good page of information on our website that includes suggested exercise and other ways to manage osteoarthritis:

There is also useful information on pain management as well as support for carers.

As someone who cares for their partner with arthritis and fibromyalgia, I found that we had to agree on a number of changes in our relationship, especially on how much help was needed and also not needed in certain situations - always difficult. We still have to talk about it even many years later and it is this one thing, talking, that has helped sort out any number of problems.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and do chat to say how you are feeling and how you are getting on - it's a great place to do that as we all understand both as with arthritis in all it's forms and as carers. You will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor