Bit of a shock

ClaireB1974
ClaireB1974 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I found out yesterday that I have severe arthritis in my left hip. I've had ongoing niggling for a while so had an xray several months ago and some physio at the hospital. Initially the exercises made a big difference but after a sharp pain one night whilst turning over, it never settled down. Got referred to orthopaedics and saw the consultant yesterday. Really not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't to be told I needed a total hip replacement and I had severe arthritis. It's the first time it was mentioned. I'm 47 and was told I should try and hang on for as long as I can before having it. To be honest I spent 45 minutes in the carpark crying! All sorts of thought swimming round my head right now

Comments

• Hello @ClaireB1974, welcome to the online community! Its lovely to have you here.

I see that you have just been diagnosed with severe OA of the hip and have been told you will eventually need a hip replacement.

It's completely understandable that you are in shock about this news. Please do remember that there is support for you, in this community and beyond. You might find these resources helpful:

As far as I know, the main reason for asking patients younger than 65 to hold off on hip replacements as long as possible is that they need replacing every 15-20 years, and the fewer surgeries the better. But there are plenty of people who have gone through the procedure earlier in life and found the improvement in their mobility, pain, and quality of life to be more than worth it. It really comes down to your situation and how you feel. Here's some info on hip replacements:

Please do stick around in the online community, it's good to talk :)

Best wishes, Sarah (moderator)

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85

Hi @ClaireB1974 I would suggest seeking another opinion. Hip replacement is truly transformative. The challenge is whether a hip replacement done now will have to be repeated later, given your age. I am not sure anyone really knows how long a hip replacement will last given the current models of prosthesis haven’t been in patients for 20+ years. Surgeons will have a variety of views and there’s the question of quality of life to take into account. Personally I would trade good years now against a future risk, but that’s not everyone’s choice. It’s why I run on my replaced hip, even though some people worry I will wear it out more quickly that way.