Can you get PIP for fibromayalga

LucyB
LucyB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

Hi Everyone, for the past 3yrs I feel like I'm really having alot of trouble remembering, in pain all the time, physically doing things and getting alot of help from my husband and 15yr old daughter. I am also a carer to my 7yr old autistic boy. It's been really difficult to manage everything. I feel like I could really benefit in getting PIP because of the extra help I need. I have only mentioned a few of my problems there's loads more.... anyone receiving PIP or has any knowledge in it. I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• jeddison1985
    jeddison1985 Member Posts: 211

Hi @LucyB firstly let me welcome you to the forum I hope you find the information and support you are after from our wonderful community.

I can see from your post that you have fibromyalgia and looking to explore a PIP claim to help you and your family.

The site is full of information and I wanted to signpost you to our financial support section which you will find PIP guidance contained within.

Some of my other moderators here at VA have found the Citizens Advice service to be very helpful. You can find them online at www.citizensadvice.org.uk - you need to say which UK country you are in (advice can vary in Scotland for example) and type PIP in the search box. 

Some Citizens Advice offices used to offer appointments to help people claim - that was a few years ago & things have changed since I had their help (especially with covid restrictions). You could check online for you local Citizens Advice office to see if they have an advice line.

Applying for PIP can take quite a long time (several months) & can involve answering some quite personal questions, but the financial help available can make all the difference if you succeed.

I wish the best of luck in applying.

Very best wishes

Joe

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

PIP is not payable because you have a condition, it is payable to cover the additional costs of being disabled.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Mike is right it's to help with the things you can't do like if you need help getting in the bath or getting dressed for instance.

It is definitely worth a try nothing ventured nothing gained.

Also if you are successful someone who helps you might be able to claim carers allowance.

• Hi,

I get PIP as I am unable to cook, need help to dress, wash, need help with medication and therapies and I can only walk a short distance. You get points fir each area you need help with and it is paid if you reach a certain points threshold. It’s worth applying but get help with the form!

Good luck,

N