HAVE ANY MEMBERS BEEN ON GABAPENTIN

Options

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR HOW OTHERS HAVE FELT HAVING BEEN ON THIS TREATMENT

Comments

• pmas
    pmas Member Posts: 43
    Options

Hi, I’ve been on Pregabalin (which is similar) since the beginning of November. I’m waiting for both hips to be replaced and GP prescribed if for the severe nerve pain shooting down my legs.

It helped with this pain almost immediately. However, I have had some slurred speech, lack of concentration, using the wrong words and sleeping a lot.

Fortunately my first hip replacement is on 3 February and the second will be 12 weeks after that. Hope the above helps.

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

My wife was eventually prescribed gabapentin for pain relief for her shoulders and it was the only thing which helped her. No side effects that we could tell but certainly managed the pain a lot. Luckily she had an injection in her shoulder and hydrodilatation procedure which then helped and means she no longer has to take the tablets

• Roopy
    Roopy Member Posts: 6
    Options

Yes been on it for a number of years for sciatic pain. It is a miracle drug for me in stopping the stabbing oain in my leg but it took a while to work and get the doseage right. My GP originally told me to increase doseage by 100mg every other day up to 800mg which made me feel awful.

Ortho consultant said to try again but take 100g for 2-4 weeks then increase to 200mg etc. Once pain relief is felt try decreasing for 2 weeks at a time until the pain returns. This worked and it turns out the therapeutic dose for me is 100mg every other day which I increase to 100mg a day if necessary. I have minimal side effects at this low doseage.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

I tried it post back surgery for neuropathic pain sadly max does of 3600mg a day did nothing for me, but it was one of the only meds to give me no side affects at all so that was a bonus!@birdbrain looks like it has really helped everyone else though so might be worth a try.

Best of luck

• sunnyside2
    sunnyside2 Member Posts: 131
    Options

Pregabalin was prescribed for me for a while but I could not get on with it, it did reduce the pain but I felt utterly drugged/drunk on it. couldn't really function .