Is osteoarthritis considered a physical disability

Options

Hi I don't know if I'm on the right page but my question is is is osteoarthritis considered a disability thank you

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 28. Oct 2021, 06:14
    Options

It rather depends on how it affects you! Some people have it mildly in one joint and can get through life barely affected with the odd paracetamol, some of us suffer with it in every joint, are on morphine and use wheelchairs. You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities. ‘Substantial’ is more than minor or trivial, eg it takes much longer than it usually would to complete a daily task like getting dressed.

• bondy104
    bondy104 Member Posts: 6
    Options

I've just been told I now have arthritis in both hips spondylitis in the top and bottom of my spine, I've already had a knee replacement and looks like I'm heading that way again! It's pretty devastating to be told its almost everywhere and a possibility it's in my jaw.

• ADRIAN
    ADRIAN Member Posts: 17
    edited 11. Mar 2022, 10:50
    Options

I would say yes AGE 58 DUE TO works accident 25+ yrs back . NOW 2nd degenrative changes for life . ON SLAUGT osto arthrittiss lwr back spine . result CANT stand about more 1- 2 minuites . walking range 20 - 50 meteres MAX without sitting so i say yes . WANT GET BETTER . But but as for DWP / conservatives NO they dont see it like that when in real world it is becaude ur limited MOBILITY RANGE .

• Bobbibrowngirlie
    Options

Yes - a disability is defined as "a physical or mental condition that limits a persons movements, senses or activities". The Government website states that "a person has a physical or mental health impairment and the impairment has a substantial and long term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day to day activities". It's the impact it has on your activity that's the issue - not specifically the condition.