What to do about telling work..

Options

So I’m 5 months in now to my condition, and finally managed to see an NHS rheumatologist. So the verdict is final, it’s defo RA.

So here’s my problem.. my line of work requires a twice yearly fitness test, annual medical, 5 yearly advanced medical..

at the moment, I’m fortunate enough that my fitness isn’t being affected. My symptoms are limited to foot pain and fatigue, both of which are currently under control via medication.

my annual medical is in April. I’ve got to disclose the medication, and therefore the condition.

I don’t want to lose my position and be moved elsewhere within the organisation, and as far as I’m concerned there should be no reason for that to happen, unless it’s purely down to rules or red tape.

i want to go to the medical armed with everything I can to potentially stop them from changing my position..

my consultants opinion is that I don’t need to change, they’re writing a letter to that end.

has anyone else been in this position?

can anyone advise on my rights?

is RA a recognised disability?

do I have rights in that regard?

many thanks in advance

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 883
    Options

Hello @Nicemonkey I would suggest getting in touch with our Helpline as they are probably best positioned to help with your questions or point you in the direction of answers

Give them a call Mon to Fri 9am to 6pm

Hope they can help you

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• alexander1
    alexander1 Member Posts: 70
    Options

Hi not sure what work it is but obviously there could be something in your contract that specifies a certain level of fitness etc.

generically RA can be seen as a disability but it’s a question answered in the courts but if you have a condition that affects you for more than 12 months then as your employer they would be expected to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ but I assume you have occupational health and they would have a role to play.

Whats reasonable is grey and they could if they felt they needed to use protection of you at work.

Good luck.

• MoWW
    MoWW Member Posts: 74
    Options

Hello @Nicemonkey

hopefully you have had your questions answered. RA as a condition is not specified in the Equality Act 2010, however any condition that impacts on your day to day activities would mean you are protected under the EqA. for conditions that are progressive and fluctuate this is still the case. ACAS has some useful info Disability at work | Acas

Your employer may want to work with you to consider if there are any adjustments needed now or in the future to ensure you can continue to work.

NRAS also has some good information on the Act and booklet aimed at employers. Guide to the Equality Act 2010 | NRAS | What you need to know

Hope this helps.

@MoWW

• Nicemonkey
    Options

Hi, just an update for those who replied..

I armed myself with a letter from consultant and senior nurse, outlining my condition vs the employment fitness tests etc.

basically I ‘top trumped’ the work Dr..

they accepted it and although I’m being monitored, I’m still at work 👍🏻

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Very well done you!

👏

Hopefully others will be inspired to hang on in there too thanks to your success.