Psoriatic Arthritis

Kaziehan62
Kaziehan62 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi,

I am new to the group and was wondering if anybody has an advice for coping with the pain of psoriatic arthritis. I have had it in my middle finger of the right hand for the past 5 years. My finger is twice the size of the one on the other hand an the top third of the finger is curved over now and is red and painful. The nail grows and then disintegrates.

I have suffered with Crohn’s disease since 1997 and am currently on Ustekinumab for both that and the arthritis.I am 59 years old and had an ileostomy in 2019.

Comments

• Hi @Kaziehan62

Welcome to the online community- it's great to have you here! I'm sorry to hear that you have been suffering with you psoriatic arthritis but you are in the right place!

Here is a link which will take you to information about psoriatic arthritis including ways of managing your pain, treatments that you could discuss with a professional and just some general background information on the condition:

I hope this is useful for you, but if there is anything else that you would like to ask about then feel free to add another post or comment. Have a good look around the community and join in where you feel comfortable to!

Take care,

Sarah

• Caleb1981
    Caleb1981 Member Posts: 33

Hi @Kaziehan62

I compete sympathise, that pain is horrible - I used to feel it all the way up to my shoulders.

I was able to control the pain in my finger joints using Celecoxib. I wasn’t using any other form of treatment at the time - not sure if it would be compatible with your other treatments/conditions.

I hope you are able to find some relief soon.

• I am on Methotrexate which I inject ONCE each week. it is most effective on P.A although you have to take care and requires monthly blood tests to ensure that it is having the right effect.

There are some risks attached but as long as the procedures are followed properly, and in view of the relief from pain. it can be well worth considering.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Apologise for the hijack @Kaziehan62 I just wanted to welcome @phillips_leonard to the Online Community.

Thank you so much for making your first post to support someone else and share your own experience.

You are quite right Methotrexate (MTX) can be a very effective medication for people with Psoriatic Arthritis. It sounds as though it has been really helpful for you.

While you're here maybe you'd might like to have a look around some of the other categories and join in anywhere you feel comfortable such as chat and news or let's move even.

I look forward to seeing more of your posts in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.