Lumbar OA

Options

Hi

Like many I have OA in several joints, including my lumbar spine, hips and one knee (the other has already been replaced). So mobility is a problem and I can’t really walk more than quarter of a mile. My physio asked if I’d considered using crutches/sticks and I said I hadn’t (at that stage it hadn’t crossed my mind) and she just changed the subject. I’m not due to see her again now, I’m having hydrotherapy rather than physio now, but my question is would crutches help with mobility do you think? Do people with lumbar OA use them and find them helpful? If so I’m happy to get some (bearing in mind we are heading to France soon and I will need to do a reasonable amount of walking there and I’m dreading it at the moment).

Thanks

sue

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Dear Sue

Thank you for your posting on the forum in which you have asked if crutches/sticks would help with mobility. I see that your mobility is a problem and that you can walk no more than a quarter of a mile. Using crutches, walking poles or a stick can help with pain, balance and your posture however, though I understand that you are no longer seeing your physiotherapist it is best to speak to a physiotherapist for further advise on walking aids and what may be appropriate for you individually. You could also speak to an occupational therapist about this. An occupational therapist will be able to give you advice on the best equipment available. They can also give you tips on ways of pacing yourself and changing the way you do tasks to make them easier You can ask your doctor to refer you to one.

I have put a link below for our top tips for walking with arthritis information that may be helpful to you. You may also find that posting on the ‘Living with arthritis’ forum for others experiences may be helpful to you. The link for this is below.

There is also further information on the NHS website about both how to receive and choose walking aids. The link is below to this information.

Top tips for walking with arthritis

Living with Arthritis Forum

Osteoarthritis of the Spine

You may also find the following general information from other organisations useful. We have no control over the contents of these resources and are unable to guarantee their suitability for you, but we hope they’re helpful: 

NHS - Walking aids

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like to talk things through with one of our helpline team then you are very welcome to call us on 0800 5200 520(Monday – Friday 9am – 6pm)

Best wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• alexander1
    alexander1 Member Posts: 70
    Options

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend crutches nor did my physio but I use sticks all the time unless being pushed in wheelchair and mobility scooter. You can even get fold up ones that fit in a bag.

• luella
    luella Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thank you for your replies