Hello

Options
Fixer
Fixer Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

This is my very first post and I would like to introduce myself to the community. I was diagnosed with Early Onset Osteoarthritis in my early 50s which was a shock as I have always been very active and sporty throughout my life. These days I have had to accept that I am unable to continue doing the same type of sport as in the past - age notwithstanding! I am now in my mid 60s and have had minor procedures on my left hand and left foot to improve flexibility and independence. I have been advised by the medics that I will require further minor procedures on my right hand and right foot as well. Now days I walk daily, go to a pilates class and swim regularly. Retirement wasn’t what I had anticipated but it could have been so much worse. I try and remain positive even when I am in discomfort attempting to do daily normal tasks using my hands and when walking.

Comments

• Hi @Fixer

Welcome to the online community! It's lovely to have another new member here!

It's good to hear that you are receiving the treatment that you need and are so positive. A positive mindset can make all of the difference sometimes. Keeping active is important too, but make sure that you listen to your body. I'm sure that you don't need me to tell you that as it seems that you are doing this and making adaptations already.

Below is a link to OA in general which may be of interest to you, although it sounds like you have everything in hand so far!

Please keep in touch with the community and join in where you feel comfortable. Let us know if there is anything specific that you would like to be pointed in the right direction of and we will do our best to help!

Take care,

Sarah (Mod)

• Fixer
    Fixer Member Posts: 4
    Options

Thank you Sarah for your post.

I have developed an issue with one of my fingers (particularly during the night) in which it seems to have a mind of it's own. My finger seems to get stuck in a bent position and can only be straightened manually by myself. It makes an appalling cracking noise and is most painful when straightening it. This can occur between three to four times each night and obviously disturbs my sleep. I would be interested if there is something that can done to resolve this issue or would you advise a GP appointment.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

To my - very medically uneducated- mind, that sounds like trigger finger. Have a look here https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/trigger-finger/#overview . Maybe ask your GP for advice.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright