Living with osteoarthritis

Options
Lockland
Lockland Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

I am struggling with whether I should go for a hip replacement now before the terrible pain I hear about kicks in or wait and hope my osteoarthritis stays at the level it is now where there is aching and reduced movement but I am able to do stairs and put my sock on, I can't cut my toe nails on that foot but not sur if a hip replacement with things that can go wrong, I might still not be able to, does anyone have any insights or advice?

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317
    Options

Hello @Lockland

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you are struggling with the decision as to whether to have a hip replacement now before the terrible pain you hear about kicks in or wait and hope that your osteoarthritis stays at the level it is now. You mainly suffer with aching and reduced movement but you are still able to do the stairs and put your socks on. You are worried that if you do go forward with the hip replacement that something could go wrong. You are looking for some advice.

It seems that you have a lot on your mind and are quite conflicted with what you want to do. In my own experience, my hip replacement was one of the best thing to happen me. I was pretty much pain free as soon as I woke up other than the actual surgical pain. My ability to move more and do more greatly increase and it improved my quality of life greatly. However you do have to commit to the daily exercises when recovering and keep to the rules with regards to what you can and cant do. That is just my experience and everyone id different. I'm sure you will get lots of comment from other members on their experience but ultimately it is your decision and you have to do what is best for you. I do think that you are doing the right thing though with regards to getting other peoples experiences as well as reading as much about it as you can.

I've attached some information below which I hope you will find useful.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and what you decide to do. Please do also keep getting involved in the community. We are always happy to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)