Hip/groin pain

Hi

i am diagnosed with psa. I am starting Methatrexate in 3 weeks. My rheumatologist reports that I have reduced range of movement in my hip. I have awful pain in my groin, a sharp stabbing pain that is triggered by moving or not moving. I cannot take ibuprofen based drugs. Do you have any advice on what could ease this pain? Thanks

Comments

• Hi Jayneyb,

Thank you for posting on our helpline forum, we are sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with Psoriatic arthritis but hopefully when you start your Methotrexate it will help you to manage your condition.

If you have a problem with your hip joint you may feel pain in the groin, down the front of the leg and in the knee. Sometimes knee pain is the only sign of a hip problem – this is called referred pain or radiated pain.

You may also feel pain on the outside of your hip or in your buttock – though this can also be caused by problems with your lower back.

We would suggest that if you could speak to your doctor to ask if it is possible to have an x-ray to see what is happening with you hip because until you know what type of arthritis it is causing you to have this pain it would be difficult to suggest what other medication would help as how you would treat one type of arthritis isn’t necessarily how you would treat another. 

Alternatively, you could try the heat and ice treatment on the affected area which is either a hot water bottle a wheat pack or a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a damp cloth, you can apply this for at least 20 minutes each time.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• alexander1
    alexander1 Member Posts: 70

Your consultant should be able to advise pain meds. There are loads other than ibruphen.

good luck

• Jayneyb
    Jayneyb Member Posts: 8

Thank you for your replies. When using heat/ice do you place on groin that hurts or over hip where you know the problem originates? Sorry if that’s a stupid question. Thanks

• Hi @Jayneyb

Thank you for posting on the forum, it’s not a stupid question, every question is absolutely fine and worth asking.

As a lay person I wonder if it’s a little bit of trial and error and worth trying the heat/ice on both areas.

For further advice it might be worth asking a physiotherapist who should be able to guide you on this.

Please give us a ring on our helpline 0800 5200 520 (9am – 6pm weekdays) where we can talk further about what’s going on for you

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Team